Would you move in with your in laws temporarily?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
Dh mentioned it today. Could mean a better job for him, him finishing school faster, and giving us a chance to afford our forever home before we have our next LO. I said why don't we just sell the house and get a small apt. But he doesn't think that would work the same. I'm so confused. It would be for about a yr. I get along with them well but we'd have to share every moment with them and have zero privacy. Idk if I'm willing to share that much of my time of my LO's short childhood :nope:

I think it completely depends on your in laws and your own personality too. And whether the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

My in laws are nice enough people and LO loves them very much. But, there is NO way I could live with them. Absolutely zero chance unless it was a life or death situation. For so many reasons- I don't like her cooking (I can politely cope with it when we visit for a day), she's got a completely different way of looking after a baby than me (again, I can let it go that she gives LO orange juice and things like meringue every time my back is turned, because we only go about once a month), she's very set in her ways (same food on same night every week, that sort of thing), she's always asking me questions (I know she's being friendly and obviously I suck it up for the short time I spend with her, but jeez I could not live with the twenty questions about every small aspect of my life every single evening!).

So yeah, she's a nice person but no way in hell could I live with her. Which, really, is true of a lot of friends that l do like. Living together is a totally different ball game!

Maybe you could write a list of the pros and cons and take it from there?

x

I think it depends on the person too. My friend and her partner have just moved in with her parents so they can save for a deposit to buy a house, my other friend is considering it, and another friend has done it and now has a home she loves but personally I don't think that I could do it. I love my mum and I love my MIL (most of the time) but they both have pretty full houses and I just don't think I could handle it as they like to butt in on my parenting decisions and life decisions and every other decision I make lol. I lived with my mum for almost 2 years before I moved in with DF and it was me and my son. But now it would be all four of us and we are all, our families included, let's say passionate people. I could see a lot of arguments for us if we lived in such close quarters.

But it is working for other friends of mine so...

I would. We did. It was a bit awkward, for sure, those times where you're getting intimate and his adorable mother was knocking on the door asking if we wanted some lunch (bless her) or his dad was complaining because we hadn't wiped the tiles around the shower after using it...but it was all worth it because it got us where we needed to be and helped us to bond with them too.

I did. I love MIL, we are very close but honestly, we didn't last long, we missed our own space, we missed our own house and i think at times MIL felt the same.

xo

My Oh mom live's here i refuse to call that MIL.

And i hate every waking moment of her being here.

She has mental issue's, She's dirty, She doesn't wash, She stinks and i'm so fed up taking care of her because she needs a care home not me.

I Should mention this is our house and she live's with US.

Her place was so filthy it was being torn down ( kid you not)

It depends on how well you get on, I wouldn't like it but if it meant a better outcome in the end then I would.

I did and it didn't work for me, we almost split up because of it....but works for some people but not very many x

I couldn't. My in laws are lovely, but having been moved out of home for 3 years now, there is no way I could go back under someone else's roof with 'rules' if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean go wild, but it's nice being an adult and having the ability to do what you like without someone questioning it as parents seem to love to do.

I think after thinking on it and sleeping on it I decided that's a huge not gonna happen :haha: we can just stay here. It will be tough but it will be fine. We've also been talking about another baby. I want to at least be expecting my Christmas 2014. Space is tight here but it will work. We have a first floor master I regret more than anything. I didn't like it when we bought the place but every one assured me it would be fine. I didn't think our family would be started quite the soon :dohh: but you can't just put things on hold like they never happened :shrug:

Think we will turn the 1st floor master into a nice playroom, have baby with us til 9 months in the guest room like we did with LO, and then they can share for a couple of yrs. that gives us 3 to 4 yrs to do what we need to do in order to move. I even figured out how to keep our room from feeling as crowded. I could even put up a curtain if we need alone time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 12
Prob not my mil is lovely but I like my own space x

If we were on speaking terms and got on, yes :rofl:

Seriously though, I know it might not be much fun but you'll have more help with kids and just think of the end goal x

I think after thinking on it and sleeping on it I decided that's a huge not gonna happen :haha: we can just stay here. It will be tough but it will be fine. We've also been talking about another baby. I want to at least be expecting my Christmas 2014. Space is tight here but it will work. We have a first floor master I regret more than anything. I didn't like it when we bought the place but every one assured me it would be fine. I didn't think our family would be started quite the soon :dohh: but you can't just put things on hold like they never happened :shrug:

Think we will turn the 1st floor master into a nice playroom, have baby with us til 9 months in the guest room like we did with LO, and then they can share for a couple of yrs. that gives us 3 to 4 yrs to do what we need to do in order to move. I even figured out how to keep our room from feeling as crowded. I could even put up a curtain if we need alone time.

Just seen this, glad you made a decision and have a plan!

Yes I would. Get on well with them.
If it meant we could get our forever house sooner-yes I would.
Xx

No, I love them but my husband and FIL are both argumentative with each other and it would drive me crazy.

I personally couldn't no even if they happened to be really lovely, but only because I enjoy my own space too much. I moved out of my parents when I was 17 and have always loved having my own place, so I just couldn't go back to living with someone

Never in a million years.

FI and I have talked about this and he even said he'd never move back to his parents, we'd go to my mum's if we absolutely had to - and even then I'd be very hesitant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->