wwyd in this situation?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
Im shocked that one guy just shook the "abductors" hand and walked away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmOCKFigME#t=319

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eally-respond-attempted-child-abductions.html

Omg. Imagine if that was your child?!

So easy to turn the other cheek and not help.

I couldn't walk by and do nothing. Amazed others did :-(

This is one of my biggest fears.

I did laugh when the woman pepper sprayed him. I wish it were legal in the UK!

Good for her!!

I remember my mum used to have some spray she used to carry that was to deter attackers as she often had to walk to her car late after work (or was it an alarm? Not sure)

Perhaps if it's still around should give it to kids to deter abducters. Mind you, some kids would clearly play with it.

How can we protect kids if the general public don't look our for them too.

As a kid me and my friend got followed by a group of foreign men, they were chasing us-two 9 year old girls in a busy town centre. It's scary.

Makes me want to lock my girls up lol

The bit that got me thinking was when the boy agreed that it was his dad? Dunno what I would do then

I'd like to think I'd stand up and do what I could to protect the child. I'm pretty sure I would, however I'm often on my own with my two little ones, what good could I do then? If I was on my own I would step in, I did when I saw a woman smacking her child in the park. She was going over the top and I acted completely out of instinct, I honestly couldn't hold myself back so I expect in a situation like this instinct would kick in.

I think the best answer would be to call the police, whilst with the child, and get them to deal with it. A true abductor would almost certainly run off whereas a parent would stick around (I expect!) and hopefully understand- and even appreciate- the situation you'd been put in.

If the 'dad' seemed very plausible and the child agreed it was his dad but I was still unsure then, at the very least, I would take note of descriptions and car reg etc.

It's scary that people find it so easy to believe an adult, just because he's an adult; even when the child is saying "he's not my dad" :(

BTW I used to have a personal alarm in my bag for when I walked alone in the dark etc, but they're useless. My friend and I were walking late at night through country roads. We dropped it on the road, couldn't find it, because there were no lights on it. It was sounding for ages, and not one person came outside (and we were walking near houses). Goes to show it means absolutely nothing. I now have my mobile phone in my hand with it poised to call someone in an emergency, and my house keys in my hand to try to do as much damage as I can to any attacker. I have heard that I could be sued for that if I use them though; how ironic

I always get my keys out when im walking alone, poised at the ready moving like a ninja at every sound.

I found this video really heartening that so many people did have the courage to protect that child even when the circumstances seemed unclear. I'm wondering though whether the video would be the same if it were done in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->