Yellow Teeth?!

SonnyH

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed their teeth becoming more yellow/stained during pregnancy? I've always had fairly alright teeth, not gleaming white, but OK (I'm British, our teeth are never that great :) ) but over the last couple months my teeth are progressively yellowing :-/ I've gone off most of the things that might stain your teeth, coke, caffeine etc, and I'm brushing my teeth as I do normally so I'm confused! Is this maybe just a coincidence or could it be linked to pregnancy/baby zapping all my nutrients?!

Pregnancies destroy my teeth. My enamel is virtually non-existent from my pregnancies. Baby will take ever nutrtient from us, that's why our pre-natals are so important. Definitely a common issue though. :(

From what I've read, your enamel ceases needing nutrient input from your body shortly after they are finished growing, or adulthood. One of the two. Pregnancy related tooth damage comes from 1. your gums being more sensitive to things like gingivitis, and 2. stomach acid from vomiting, acid reflux, what have you, making it easier for stuff to grow and also dissolving your enamel. Things like brushing immediately after vomiting are bad too, you should rinse with water (and baking soda if you like) and then wait 30 mins, or else you can damage your teeth. (apparently this applies to anything acidic, including your morning orange juice. :) )

I'd just ask a dentist what can be done for the yellowing while pregnant, assuming you wouldn't just prefer to fix it after giving birth. :p

Pregnancy is such a joy! Ha! I better get upping my calcium I suppose, if I am to look after them! I've never been great at calcium intake as I dislike milk! I could happily make it up in cheese though I imagine! Especially as I'm not watching my weight at the mo :)

I will mention it to the dentist in the new year when I next go, hopefully they can suggest something!

My teeth suddenly went horrible around 24 weeks last time. They aren't as bad now as they were then though. I really should check with a dentist. Glad its not just me though!

After my last pregnancy my teeth were absolutely awful. They were so yellow. I thought i was the only one because id never heard of anyone mention this before. Im 21 weeks today and noticed theyre going a bit discoloured again. No matter how many times i brush my teeth they always feel a bit dirty. The joys eh!!

All these things no-one ever tells you about! :)

During pregnancy, women with protein deficiency are prone to develop yellow teeth. Women who takes too much of coffee, colas, or alcohol are highly prone to develop yellow teeth. Some times it could be due to those iron supplements you have been taking. Brush your teeth for few days with mixture of salt and lime juice will help reduce and rub off those yellowish stains from your teeth. You can try baking soda for brush; the tiny particles of it act as natural abrasive that scrape the yellow stains off your teeth.

I think that it happens because of thinning of the enamel layer. I also had my teeth yellowed during my pregnancy. However, we're mums! We'll give what it takes to have a healthy child. However, my friend has always had yellow teeth and was very insecure about this. She never drank coke or coffee and also brushed it properly. However, it had no effect, so she went to the dentist's clinic for whitening. They said that her enamel was extremely thin, and the inner layer of teeth was naturally yellow. Moreover, for each human, not only her. However, there's some advice helping to keep your teeth white as much as possible here thehealthysmile.net

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->