Yet ANOTHER food I'm cooking and then find out it might not be good...

Skywalker

Reaction score
"Several cultures traditionally link eggplant with induced labor or even miscarriage. However, these stories are almost certainly myths and appear to be based on no scientific evidence. For example, Salisbury University lists eggplant as a food avoided by pregnant women in Haitian immigrant communities. Similarly, some traditional Japanese cultures believe that eggplant contains "cold energy" and as such is not suitable for pregnant women." Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/496031-eating-eggplant-while-pregnant/#ixzz2fm03Caa4

Even though it's based on no scientific evidence the fact that multiple different cultures hold this belief puts me off. However, then I found this thread where lots of people say it's totally fine. What the heck!? I am so sick of wanting a food and then going to eat it and finding tons of stuff online freaking out about all these different foods. My goodness. What CAN I eat!????

https://community.babycenter.com/po...lly_cause_a_miscarriage_of_put_one_into_labor

In my opinion, you can eat anything you want in moderation as long as it's prepared properly. My doctor didn't give me a single dietary restriction, just said to use common sense and live my life.

I think egg plant would be fine other wise your Dr would tell you not to eat it :) I think you'd have to eat a shit load for anything bad to happen ( if it were to happen )

I'm all freaked out now though. Damn you Google! I found out that even though eggplant is a good source of fiber and folic acid, it also contains nicotine and influences blood flow to the pelvic region :wacko: I know I'm probably being WAY too cautious here but I feel like if I eat it I'm going to freak out afterwards so I think I'm just going to throw it out and make something else... Paranoid, I know, but I just wouldn't forgive myself if it happened to be one of those controversial items that it does turn out is bad.

Lol I don't even like egg plant :p
Is there anything else similar to egg plant that you can eat?

Lol I don't even like egg plant :p
Is there anything else similar to egg plant that you can eat?

Haha you're so cute :) I saw it in the store and thought, I haven't had that in years! Yeah, I'm now boiling some freshly spiralized zucchini (because I am that anal about avoiding listeria... washing isn't enough for me because I don't have antibacterial soap) and frying up some tomatoes, garlic tomato sauce, and leeks :) Making a gluten free pasta now! :D Still on the Italian theme

Can you substitute eggplant for maybe zucchini? I don't like eggplant (in saying that, I've never actually tasted it) I've not heard anything about m/cs but when I was preg with DD on my local forum, a few women were making HUGE eggplant casseroles and eggplant bakes in the weeks leading up to birth in the hope it'd start labour.

I have never heard about the eggplant! I love eggplant.

I remember last time I was pregnant craving fresh pineapple and then someone told me that pineapple could cause early labor or miscarriage. DD was a week late so I was eating TONS of pineapple and it didn't work though, lol. :)

I have never heard about the eggplant! I love eggplant.

I remember last time I was pregnant craving fresh pineapple and then someone told me that pineapple could cause early labor or miscarriage. DD was a week late so I was eating TONS of pineapple and it didn't work though, lol. :)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? LOL! Because I make shakes using one entire fresh pineapple. Had one yesterday. My goodness. This is insanity. My doctors tell me to eat all fruits and vegetables and either wash them with antibacterial fruit & veggie soap or heat them to kill listeria, but that's about it. They didn't say avoid this, avoid that. Probably because there's not much scientific evidence behind these other foods being bad... but it still scares me! I feel like every day I eat things that the internet considers toxic for my baby. Very sad and upsetting :(

Well, the zucchini noodles are alright. I should have just blanched them though, I'm sure that would have killed any bacteria. But of course, I got a call and got trapped on the phone while my zucchini boiled away so now it is like mush but hey, better than nothing lol! Was so hungry.

After doing more research I found out it was a chemical in the core-ey (I know that's not a word) part of the pineapple and you would have to eat something like 20 whole fresh ones! I love pineapple and eat it almost everyday.

I am anal about washing everything too! I even use a separate utensil when I cook from start to finish, in case it somehow got contaminated while I was cooking. Like, for example, I will start out with a spatula when I am making stir fry but as soon as everything is up to temperature I start using a different one to stir and serve.

I know it sounds crazy, but with so many things that I CAN'T control (car wrecks, birth defects, etc), I try and do what I can. I even buy a special deodorant, lol :)

Vinegar is anti-bacterial and can be used as a veggie wash, same concept as Fit Wash. Removes bacteria, wax, pesticides, etc.

That sounds so yum! Fresh product is normally fine and you don't have to worry too much about it, it's the pre made salads and salad bars that you want to steer clear of. But being extra careful is always a good thing though, better safe then sorry :)

Eggplant is FINE! Pineapple is FINE! Google is not your friend! Any idiot can write any bollocks (Livestrong is a TERRIBLE source of information) and put it on the internet.

Just stick to what your midwife or doctor told you and you will be fine. I'm actually amazed at the advice to use antibacterial soap. I would never bother to do that!

My midwife and doctor also told me it's fine to eat soft cheese if it's pasteurised, and fine to eat soft eggs if they are organic. (I also rinse the outside before cracking them.) Also fine to have a glass of wine occasionally, and a coffee every day. I followed this advice through my last pregnancy and never felt a moment of guilt or fear.

I can't believe you threw the eggplant away, I would have made short work of that!! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->