Yolk sac still visible at 12 weeks? Anyone had this?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
Had my 12 week scan today at 12+2 and everything looked fine. But the sonographer noted the yolk was still there-shouldn't it have gone by now? I don't remember it with my other babies.
She didn't seem concerned-baby was moving fine and heart beating away. But I'm worried it means my placentas not going to work it something. :-(

Anyone else seem the yolk-when did it go for you?

I'm not sure all I noticed that at my 12 week scan they could see that my placenta was anterior (still is) I don't think there was a yolk sac but if she didn't seem concerned then everything should be fine with bubs x

I had a scan at 11 weeks 2 days and they showed me where the yolk sac was

I know I had the yolk pointed out but I can't remember if it was at the 10 or 12 week scan, which isn't helpful, sorry :(

I do think that if there were any cause for concern the sonographer would have mentioned it to your midwife at least, if not to you. Doesn't the yolk sac remain until the placenta is fully working? In which case you may have a couple of weeks until that happens as I think my hormones are only now starting to settle at 14+5 (which I'm assuming is down to placenta taking over)?

x

It seems to be fairly uncommon - but fortunately it's not associated with anything problematic. Found a study on this very subject for ya!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22535716

Thanks everyone. I'm stressing over it, but Google doesn't show anything negative. Thanks for the link :flower:
Going to book a private gender scan for 16 weeks, so will ask her about how the placentas coning on then x

I didn't see a yolk sad at my 12 weeks scan but if she didn't seem to be worried, I wouldn't stress about it!

It seems to be fairly uncommon - but fortunately it's not associated with anything problematic. Found a study on this very subject for ya!
Frequency of a persistent yolk sac and its relationship with the gestational outcome. - PubMed - NCBI

I know this is old but actually yes it's very common up to 14-16 weeks is when it disappears completely just writing this so that other women worrying can know it's normal at 12 weeks even at 13 and 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->