Zoloft while breastfeeding???

channy3232

Reaction score
I just haven't been feeling like myself lately and I started getting chest pains so that alarmed me and I went to the doctor this morning. I've had anxiety issues in the past and used to be on zoloft 50mg. I stopped before I got pregnant. My doctor put me back on it, and everything I've read says it's safe while breastfeeding. Obviously my doctor wouldn't have prescribed it if it wasn't safe, but I'm still a little uneasy about it. And it bothers my husband.
A good friend of mine has been taking it while BFing and she's on 150mg! Anyone else take it while BFing? Did you notice anything different in your baby? Is your baby ok now?? I know I'll be ok taking it, because I've taken it before, but it makes me nervous that it might go to my baby through my milk.

I know several people who have taken it while breastfeeding and have had no problems. It is preferred over the other meds in that category because there is more data available and it seems to be very safe while breastfeeding. There is an expert on Lactation and medications, Dr Thomas Hale, and he says:

"From numerous studies, we know that Sertraline (Zoloft) is probably the better choice for breastfeeding mothers. Indeed, of the women who take antidepressants and breastfeed, about 48% take Sertraline.

Zoloft is fine for breastfeeding mothers. Its actually the least transferred to the infant and thousands of moms use it every day."

You need to make sure you are well in order to take care of your infant to the best of your ability.

My pharmacist said some of it does pass through breastmilk and you should watch your baby carefully just incase it does affect your baby. Watch for lethargy or anything unusual. If you notice something to take baby straight to your pediatrician.

I was also prescribed this for anxiety and depression. My doctor told me it's the best choice for breastfeeding because it's such a miniscual amount that's transferred which makes it safe.

im on it, 100mg once a day, it has had no effect on my lil boy. They like to prescibe it for bf ladies. I dont think its the greatest for me as i get heartburn and now have to take other tablets to counteract that, but they wont change my tablets unless i stop feeding, and that aint happening anytime soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->