Zoloft?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
I've battled with anxiety and depression for many years. My anxiety has been through the roof to where I'm getting multiple panic attacks in a day and some last throughout the day. I finally called my midwife and told her it's out of control and my coping techniques aren't working so she called in a prescription of Zoloft.

I know she wouldn't prescribe me anything they felt was unsafe for baby. But I'm so scared to take it. Is anyone else on Zoloft during pregnancy?

Me! I started taking it just before 8 weeks. I was on it before I fell pregnant and stopped when I started TTC. Around 6 weeks, my anxiety and depression also become so bad I was withdrawing from everyone and everything so I thought enough is enough.

I had already researched it myself (a lot) and I am happy with my decision to take it because I weighed up the risks against the benefits. There are no guarantees and it's obviously better to not take it however there is a lot of misinformation being circulated and fear mongering. I am confident with my decision to be on zoloft during pregnancy and it has helped immensely.

I was on zoloft (called Sertraline in UK) for the whole of my first pregnancy and from the second trimester of my second pregnancy. Most doctors have told me that it is the safest to take in pregnancy especially if the benefits of taking it outweigh the risks of trying to get by without it. They kept us in hospital 24 hours after birth so that they could assess any affect it'd had on the baby but they never did any tests anyway other than the standard newborn checks that every baby gets.

Thanks for sharing Bev. It's good to hear positive first hand accounts of people who were on it and have gone on to deliver healthy bubs. It's called Sertraline in Aus too. It is the 'safest' one to take.

There is currently a lawsuit against Zoloft. It rarely causes birth defects, but I think tons of things we don't even consider cause birth defects, so you can weigh your options there. It is associated with a much higher risk of autism, though. Around 200% increased risk. In your case, I would definitely say the benefits outweigh the risk (it is a category C drug). Lack of oxygen (during panic attacks) and high blood pressure will cause much bigger problems, but do your research and make the choice that's right for your family! I have been on Zoloft in he past and weaned off before getting pregnant each time, but I'm sure the drug was still in my system when I got pregnant with my third-born, who is perfect!

I do not want to scare you at all. I just think all parents should be completely informed of their choices. I hope you get this under control. That is not something I'd want to deal with during pregnancy - that must be so scary and cause even more anxiety for you!

The risk of autism is doubled which means it goes from 1% to 2% not a 200% increase. It's very hard to prove anything is linked to autism as there is no way of telling children were not already predisposed to it. It's also unethical to conduct clinical trials on pregnant ladies so there has no been sufficient evidence to prove any birth defects/autism is caused by Zoloft.

I agree the OP needs to do what she feels is right for her & it's definitely a risks vs benefits decision.

I have had clinical depression & anxiety most of my life and have been off and on of meds for years. I just happened to have been off meds when I fell pregnant with baby girl, then I had a pretty stressful pregnancy, she came almost a month early and had some complications due to that. Then I fell deep into post partum depression because I refused to take any medication because I was dead set on breastfeeding (even though I didn't even make enough milk for her). When it got to the point where I was having very scary hallucinations, suicidal, and didn't trust myself to be alone with her--I called the doctor. I went on Zoloft, and it has managed my symptoms better than any medication I have ever tried. I was finally happy--ecstatic actually. Then when hubby and I decided to try for one more precious angel, I weaned myself off, slowly, due to scary things I had read about anti-depressants in general during pregnancy. After a couple of months I was at rock bottom again. That's when it clicked--there is far greater a risk to myself, my current baby, and my future baby, by me NOT taking the medication than there is if I am taking the medication. Besides, I've read newer studies that actually have shown that there is no connection between Zoloft and birth defects--the connections have been found in broad range anti-depressant studies, or in slightly less broad SSRI studies--but both of these include other, much more dangerous drugs, such as Paxil and Prozac. I don't remember which one it was, but one article I read actually suggested that when they looked at the amount of women on each different antidepressant, they found that Zoloft was not one of the responsible drugs. Everyone has to do their own research and weigh their own pros and cons. There are risks to taking Zoloft. There are risks to NOT taking Zoloft. You know your situation better than anybody else.

I have to agree that while it isn't 100% safe and my psych and gyn team agree I shouldn't be on it, if you are having multiple panic attacks a day the benefits are worth it. :hugs: and like Bev said of the drugs out there Zoloft is the safest

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->