Cot bumpers 'not recommended' ???

AmyMumToBe

Reaction score
Went to John Lewis with my mum today to look at nursery furniture it was great! But we picked out lots of lovely White bedding and a cot bumper and when we were paying the cashier said that did we realised they aren't recommended for at least 6 months as they pose a safety issue!!?? I'm confused!! Actually confused about alot now! So can anyone help?

• Are cot bumpers dangerous?? (seems ridiculous)
• Is it not advised to use a duvet before 12 months?

Eeek suddenly feel a bit overwhelmed as I've never done this before!!

I live in Chicago, IL and it's the first city in America to actually ban the sale of bumpers (just passed city council last month). Apparently there have been several reports they are unsafe and not many reports that show an actual benefit for the child.

DH and I have already discussed and decided not to use the bumper. It comes with our bedding set, but I'll be cutting it into smaller sections and making throw pillows :)

I believe they aren't recommended as they block the free flowing air through the bars of the crib which 'could' lead to an increase in risk of SIDS.

If I remember correctly from my first pregnancy cot bumpers are not advised for the first 6m due to risk of suffocation (no air flow if baby puts head in it) but then they are not meant to be used once your little one is standing/walking as they can use it as a step to get out of their cots and hurt themselves - so basically you can use them for a period of about 3 months lol. The same principle of suffocation and over heating apply with blankets. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone x

I may be totally wrong but in my head the thing that scared me about the bumpers was if little ones face was up against it and they could not breath. I realise this is prob stupid and that baby would be at the bottom of the crib but I'm a crazy hormonal first time mum and this is the kind of thing that goes through my head lol Nx

My doctor's officer has posters all in office saying not to use them...saying they increase the risk of SIDS. Therefore I will not be using one. They say it is impossible for a baby to physically hit their head hard enough on the bars to hurt themselves so that bumpers are also unnecessary. I may use a breathable mesh one when the child is older and mobile so she won't get her arms or legs stuck in between the bars.

I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up, so should i just use blankets instead of a duvet/quilt?xx

Studies have shown that they post a suffocation and/or SIDS risk. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants sleep on their backs with only a tight fitting sheet over the crib mattress. No cot bumper, no blankets, stuff animals, etc.

I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up, so should i just use blankets instead of a duvet/quilt?xx

Until the child is older, you shouldn't put blankets or quilts in the crib either...they can also suffocate on those. It's best to put them in a sleep-sack and that will keep them warm enough. :)

I was a bit surprised too considering that you can buy them everywhere but my OH and I agreed that we are not gonna use any. His mum bought us one before we could say anything and we told her so she is gonna bring it back to the shop ( i felt a bit guilty but safety first). We are gonna get the breathable airwrap instead

https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_92169_10001

It's against why mothers were using the bumpers for for all these years but I guess I won't be getting any either.new recommendation sounds logical.

and of course while you're not supposed to use bumpers or blankets, they sell the sets with both so if you just want a crib sheet and dust ruffle you have to buy them separate

and of course while you're not supposed to use bumpers or blankets, they sell the sets with both so if you just want a crib sheet and dust ruffle you have to buy them separate

That's all we did :) It ended up being cheaper anyway :)

We ended up swaddling in the early days as Megan had a bad startle reflex while laying on her back. Then we used sleep sacks. We also still have her breathable bumper in her crib and it's worked great!

I have always used them and plan on it with this baby. You have to do what you are comfortable with but my oldest is 17 and my youngest is 2.

SIDS is really unexplainable and every time you turn around, something is getting the blame. I just hate seeing moms worry so much.

I always make sure to have a special baby room temperature monitor, that shows me the best temp the room should be for a newborn - you will be surprised at how cool the room can be so a baby is comfortable

It is because of the risk of it falling off hunny. Blankets because they wriggle under them. But baby lays in the feet to foot posistion of the cot anyway and you use blankets rather then a quilt.

That is why John Lewis does not sell 'bedding sets' for cots and cotbeds ;)

In regards to a bumper, I had one with my son and several times had to move him into the middle as he was on his side, bumper covering his face.. I took the bumper away. I believe it to be very dangerous.

Duvet, no you cannot use a duvet before 12 months because, again the risk of suffocation is massive, even the bumper is safer than this.

Hope this helps x

I have always used them and plan on it with this baby. You have to do what you are comfortable with but my oldest is 17 and my youngest is 2.

SIDS is really unexplainable and every time you turn around, something is getting the blame. I just hate seeing moms worry so much.

Sorry hunni, I don't agree. The reason guidelines keep changing is because they are gaining more insight to it each and every single day.

I guess it is personal choice, but for me, I will change with the guidelines, I believe them to be there for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->