Could I be pregnant despite testing negative at 11 weeks?

Birdiee

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new around here. I know this gets asked a lot, but I need your advice/opinion, w/e.

Over the course of 11 weeks (since lmp) I have tested numerous times - all negative hpts. The thing is, I've had two, lighter than normal, periods and am about to get one this month (if everything's NORMAL)

I went to my gyno twice, first at, what would be, 3 weeks and she did a transvaginal u/s, but at that point you can't see much, so I supposed she just didn't see anything. The only thing that keeps me testing is my erect nipples. The boobs ain't sore, just feel bigger, but not much.

Then at 9.5 weeks I couldn't take it anymore and went to the gyno again. She needed to do a check-up on my uterus anyway, so I figured she'd see any possible sign of pregnancy. She rubbed this gel on my belly (you know, over the uterus) and she said nothing was there. But hm, could she have missed it again? Since it was external? I'm paranoid.

No unusual fatigue, no cravings, no frequent urination, no backache, no dizziness, no excessive discharge, just fuller boobs and a few pimples here and there.

Is this a phantom pregnancy for God's sake? Am I just imagining things because I'm so scared of actually being pregnant?

I've heard of people never testing positive on a hpt, or having their pregnancies missed on u/s and I'm CONVINCED that's what's going on with me. Could I still be testing negative even at 11/12 weeks?

Sorry for the long post. :nope:

Sorry you're going through this. It sounds like you're not pregnant. If you've been having periods, even if they're lighter than what you're used to, then that's a good indicator. When you say lighter, are they lasting for a shorter period of time or is the flow just lighter than normal? What are your periods normally like?
If you were 11/12 weeks pregnant, then there would be no missing it on an ultrasound...I believe.

Are you currently trying to get preganant or are you using some form of contraceptive? If you're on BCP then this can mess with your periods. Mine became very light when taking BCP. I came off the BCP and, even though they became a lot heavier again, there weren't anywhere near as heavy as before I started taking BCP.

Don't know if any of this is very helpful to you, but I hope you get the answers you are looking for xx

Lighter, as in, a lighter flow for about 2(maybe 3) days and then it goes on spotting for 2-3 days (so I guess the number of days is good). Opposed to my regular 3-4 days of semi-heavy flow. I've read that women do bleed in pregnancy. I'm not on BCP, because my gyno says it messes a lot with the hormones, so we're trying to keep it natural. I'm not trying to conceive, so it would be an unplanned pregnancy (based on my foolish decisions to have unprotected sex.)

At 9.5weeks even with an abdominal ultrasound something would have been seen. I very highly doubt you are pregnant. This far along you would have a positive pregnancy test. Seems like your hormones are just out of wack.

what about acne breakout? not much and not very often, but I'm noticing my chest and my back covered with pimples.. any of you had it as a sign of pregnancy? it's either that, or the up-coming period :hopeful:

Acne can be a sign of a lot of things. Period coming, stress, even eating different foods. If schedule another gyno appointment to figure out what's going on. But your chances are extremely slim that you're pregnant.

At 9.5weeks even with an abdominal ultrasound something would have been seen. I very highly doubt you are pregnant. This far along you would have a positive pregnancy test. Seems like your hormones are just out of wack.

This. At my 8 week scan,there is a very clear baby and yolk sac - that was abdominal.

what about acne breakout? not much and not very often, but I'm noticing my chest and my back covered with pimples.. any of you had it as a sign of pregnancy? it's either that, or the up-coming period :hopeful:

Not me. I got an extra spot or 2 on my chin and that's it.

Thank you, gave me a little piece of mind.. I was just wondering how on Earth people say that your hormones may be too low to detect hCG? Testing with a 25 mIU at, let's say, 8 weeks. No way the hCG hormone is less than 25 at that point, or 10 for that matter, am I right?. What's the actual explanation, because it seems to me this is really implausible.

Thank you, gave me a little piece of mind.. I was just wondering how on Earth people say that your hormones may be too low to detect hCG? Testing with a 25 mIU at, let's say, 8 weeks. No way the hCG hormone is less than 25 at that point, or 10 for that matter, am I right?. What's the actual explanation, because it seems to me this is really implausible.

I had a positive at 9dpo on a 25mIu. At 8 weeks the levels would be MUCH higher. Beyond 16dpo or so (4 or so weeks) the hormones aren't too low to be detected. At 11/12 weeks there's no way it wouldn't show up.

the only occasion you would get a negative so late into pregnancy is if you are one of the few people in the world who test's negative as a false negative, but i can't express to you how rare that would be. it's something like 1 in 800,000.

the only other explanation is that sometimes when i get something into my head i can develop symptoms, like when i thought i was pregnant a few years ago but i wasn't, and even the scan showed i wasn't i had still convinced myself that i was, so much so that i started lactating!!! that wasn't much fun........!!! the best thing to do is accept that the test's and the scans are correct and then allow yourself to let go of the feeling that you are pregnant. I hope that helps.

the only occasion you would get a negative so late into pregnancy is if you are one of the few people in the world who test's negative as a false negative, but i can't express to you how rare that would be. it's something like 1 in 800,000.

the only other explanation is that sometimes when i get something into my head i can develop symptoms, like when i thought i was pregnant a few years ago but i wasn't, and even the scan showed i wasn't i had still convinced myself that i was, so much so that i started lactating!!! that wasn't much fun........!!! the best thing to do is accept that the test's and the scans are correct and then allow yourself to let go of the feeling that you are pregnant. I hope that helps.

I know the feeling of it not being much fun, trust me. :nope:

Anyway, it helps A LOT. :) Thank you. I'm so into google-horrible-stories, it's ridiculous. So, you don't think I need a blood test? In case anybody's got a story like mine, I'll let you know what it was. :)

No, I think you would be better relaxing and accepting the results you've had so far. I've made the mistake of not doing so and ended up getting myself all het up for nothing! and I had to deal with leaky boobs for 2 months! all because i was poking and prodding them so much (because every ache and pain had to mean i was pregnant) that i somehow stimulated milk production. then i went and saw my gp who suggested a holiday.... lol!

Isn't it weird that I'm only noticing this after having unprotected sex?

Pregnancy tests rarely lie and the fact that you have had an ultrasound etc. where no baby was seen kind of confirms that you aren't pregnant. I do think you need to see your doctor again and figure out why you haven't had a period in so long. There can be many reasons for it besides pregnancy. I definitely think you can safely move past the idea that you might be pregnant.

You're all so kind. :)

Anyway, I thought I'd start a different topic, I'm curious..

How common is it for a girl to get pregnant from the pre-ejaculatory fluid? Is there sperm in it? I see a lot of debates on the Internet whether there is.. In my case, the guy never finished during the sex, which by the way, took place 3-4 days after my period had finished, so no fertile days.

People say they can ovulate while on their period. How come?

Just a quick update, for those in a similar situation, I went for an u/s again, I'm not pregnant, but I have some kind of infection that needs to be treated and messes with my hormones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->