I'm officially a shopping addict

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
So.. I'm not sure how, but I've apparently spent $6500 in the last 2 months on baby stuff. :blush: I need to stop buying stuff! It's so addictive, but he has everything he could possibly need for the next year, including clothes and winter wear.

I can still think of things I want to get him. :nope: He has so much though, and my MIL spends a lot on him too. This little munchkin is super spoiled and doesn't even know it! I'm about to hand my DH my debit card and go into saving mode till Christmas, it's so hard though.

I know the amount is obscene, at about $700+ per week, but does anyone else have shopping problems? The more I think about not shopping, the more things I think of that I want to get him.

:dohh:

I am constantly on eBay getting things for LO, not 6500 bucks worth but little bits here and there do add up. Mostly clothes and I don't even get anything fancy. I always have a list of things I want to get LO in the next month, I keep it in Google Docs so I can get to it from my phone in case I think of something else!

I am constantly on eBay getting things for LO, not 6500 bucks worth but little bits here and there do add up. Mostly clothes and I don't even get anything fancy. I always have a list of things I want to get LO in the next month, I keep it in Google Docs so I can get to it from my phone in case I think of something else!

I do the ebay thing as well..We are not having any more LO so I sell the items I don't want to keep and buy him 'new' stuff with my earnings. I wouldn't be able to afford $700 a week on baby and my DH would have killed me by now if I was spending that. (but would love to spoil my LO rotten. :haha:)

Honestly, I don't want to think of all I've spent on LO since she was born- OR- prior when getting her room ready. Ack :wacko:

I think I will live in denial thank you very much! :haha:

Most of what I've spent has been on big ticket items (strollers in particular)- but I LOVE to buy her clothes and look for deals even she she doesn't "need" anything. oops. I need to get it under control before she get's old enough to pick up on that bad habit ;) I do a lot better than I used to! HAHA- So that says something I guess.

If we are talking addiction I will confess that I am a baby sleeping bag addict. As a matter of fact I'v just bought four of them (2.5 tog, super cute, less than 2 quid each on eBay).

I am addicted to ebay at the moment. Its the damn app on my phone. Its so easy! I am being sensible though and not bidding more than £x on items so I don't end up paying almost new price for a used item. I got him a Leapfrog learning table today for £15 (£30 new)!

ebay is my friend... i keep buying lo LOADS of clothes etc online every day...stuff he doesnt really need i guess but i cant resist... also when lo is asleep on me after a feed and i cant move i think i do it out of boredom too!

i spend may only a couple on £ per purchase but with p&p and say maybe 2/3 items a day i spend apprx £10/15 most days... wow thats a lot really!!! i could save that up and get a really nice thing which he needed instead...

im soooooooooo bad though and know i'll look again tomorrow...

its so hard not to treat our little ones...

xxx

I've only gotten an ergo on ebay. I should try to avoid it now though as I'm going into remission. It's tempting to take a look as I want to get him a deedee sleeping bag for winter, or two. I need to stop! :rofl:

Surprisingly, my DH isn't mad or anything, he just told me to take it easy. I had no idea I was spending that much until he mentioned it to me this morning. I mean I knew I bought a lot but thought I was being reasonable at least. Apparently not! He didn't even tell me until I told him I was going to buy some sleeping bags.

Part of the problem is that websites like amazon are just so quick and convenient. As soon as I think of something I can order it within a couple of minutes, and don't even think about it. I definitely need to start thinking more!

wow! That's lots of money! ebay is my friend too. I have curbed my spending this last month 'cos I felt I was spending too much. Not quite that much though!

Leids, I don't want to alarm you, but there are a lot of fake ergo's on ebay (you may already know and I could be patronising you by saying this. Apologies if so). You might want to make sure yours is a genuine one just in case. The stitching is dodgy on many of the fakes which can make them less safe :) I can provide you with suggestions of things to look for if you need :)

Wow! That's a lot. I currently have a next clothes addiction,most of LOs 6-9 wardrobe are from next brand new :/ there are just too many cute clothes! X

wow! That's lots of money! ebay is my friend too. I have curbed my spending this last month 'cos I felt I was spending too much. Not quite that much though!

Leids, I don't want to alarm you, but there are a lot of fake ergo's on ebay (you may already know and I could be patronising you by saying this. Apologies if so). You might want to make sure yours is a genuine one just in case. The stitching is dodgy on many of the fakes which can make them less safe :) I can provide you with suggestions of things to look for if you need :)
Ooo, thank you! I just took a look, and googled how to figure out if mine was genuine or not. It is genuine!

I looked at this guide here https://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-a-Counterfeit-Ergo-Baby-Carrier?ugid=10000000065082150 - if you can think of another way to tell let me know. I haven't had any problems with it though, and it seems really sturdy/no weird stitching.

I looked at this guide here https://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-a-Counterfeit-Ergo-Baby-Carrier?ugid=10000000065082150 - if you can think of another way to tell let me know. I haven't had any problems with it though, and it seems really sturdy/no weird stitching.

I've asked some people I know to comment on the guide you posted. Although it covers the main points - they have said that even a convincing fake can have many of the things listed such as the moulded zips etc and yet still be fake.

It does list a lot of the main things to look for though. So if you're happy then hopefully all is fine. The ladies I spoke to did say if you have any doubts to call Ergo themselves as they're REALLY helpful apparently.

I'm sure there is nothing to worry about and I'm just causing you to worry about it for no reason. Just worth mentioning :)

I bumped this thread because as the Christmas season approaches I find myself getting even worse.

I've spent $1300 in the last 2 weeks (this is including tuition/book fees/college loan payment as well).

I feel awful. I seriously feel sick to my stomach. I've blocked amazon, target, babiesrus, and buybuybaby to make it more difficult for me to just look and buy.

In the last 2 weeks I've gotten:
Stroller - $188
New Ergo - $115
More baby clothes - $114
Random baby items - $94
Baby toys for Christmas - $60 (2 things, I'm done buying stuff for that though)
Sister's Christmas present $135 (She's having a really hard time with depression atm, so I splurged a little more than I should have)
Cleaning supplies/shampoo/body wash - $40 ($160 total in the last 3 months, trying to solve an issue with the company because I've been double charged and I'd like to send it back).

There's probably more. I think I need a support group. :cry: My husband isn't mad at me, but I've promised him I'm done until April unless it's necessary things that he goes out with me to get so that I don't spend anything else. It's not that we can't afford it, but we really don't need everything that I go after. I just need to stop and get myself back on track. Here and there is okay, but I'm going way beyond that at this point.

Anyways, I just needed to write it down. I need to own up to my problems somewhere. And I really need to stick to my guns, because I'm becoming awful.

Oh no! I know how u feel. Im a shopping addict through and through but my husband said enough was enough and sorted me out. He took all my credit cards off me and when I paid them off made me close the accounts. He also made me pay off my bank account overdraft and I no longer have one :( I can only shop now if ive got money which is hardly ever cos it all goes on paying bills. Its miserable cos I dream of going on shopping sprees but just cant :-( maybe u could do something like I did though if its genuinely bothering u?

The next step my husband was gonna take was giving me an "allowance" in cash every week to spend so I couldn't spend any more but I wouldn't let him do that!

Oh no! I know how u feel. Im a shopping addict through and through but my husband said enough was enough and sorted me out. He took all my credit cards off me and when I paid them off made me close the accounts. He also made me pay off my bank account overdraft and I no longer have one :( I can only shop now if ive got money which is hardly ever cos it all goes on paying bills. Its miserable cos I dream of going on shopping sprees but just cant :-( maybe u could do something like I did though if its genuinely bothering u?

The next step my husband was gonna take was giving me an "allowance" in cash every week to spend so I couldn't spend any more but I wouldn't let him do that!
Thank you. :hugs: I gave him all of the debit cards. Typically we agree on everything I buy, but it just adds up and there are some things I do buy randomly. I had to block amazon because the credit info is saved. I'm actually going to have him change my amazon pw and remove the credit card info from the account too, I'm that bad!

We're trying to save money so that we can get a nice house. I'm ruining it by spending so much money. :( We're not hurting at all but we can't manage to save any money because of it. It makes me feel terrible. I could have bought a week long cruise to the Caribbean for the 3 of us with the money I spent!

My husband is such a nerd. He called me on his way home from work laughing at me because I was upset over it. He told me that it was good that I was taking a step back, but that there were people who were a lot worse. His attitude towards it is what makes feel like it's okay to spend so much!

Either way I need to quit. I'm kind of mad that he was laughing about it. He told me that sometimes I go a little crazy but that he's not mad at all and he thinks I'm overreacting.

Aww Hun!! You're husband sounds like a sweety! It is so hard because online shopping is SO EASY. You did the right thing in blocking those sites.. It will take away the temptation. It is so easy to buy things.. I could really, really be the same. :) your hubs is right, there are others that are probably way worse!

Bless him, he sounds lovely. My husband is so mean with money. It does mean we have a lot of savings and managed to buy a great house but to me money is for swapping for fun stuff, not to stash away :) if ur not in really bad debt don't let it stress u. I was ending up so my monthly credit card payments were too much for me to pay so that's why I took drastic measures

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->