P's arrival - 5.1kg/11lb 4oz, born in the water

holywoodmum

2 girls and one cooking
Reaction score
So on Wednesday I had a pretty crappy sort of morning – I was just feeling a bit “blah” all day – sore tummy, bad mood… Off I went for my midwife appointment. The midwife said it was pretty normal for pre-labour hormonal surges to make you feel just gernally out of sorts – I seemed to be over analysing everything – what could go wrong, what would it be like having three kids, what if I needed induced, what if the baby wasn’t here before dad had to go home, what if I caught dad’s cold – really deeply significant things obviously! I think I was also being troubled by the sore tum – cramps that were sore, but totally infrequent – I just felt I could deal with pain, but not if it was going to go on indefintely, with no particular end in sight! She also did an internal and said I was 2cm dilated, and my cervix was soft but not effaced – her words “it could be tonight or it could be next week… but I think the baby will probably be here by the weekend”.

In the afternoon I relaxed in the bath while my parents took the girls to the park – I was fairly convinced by this stage that I was having contractions – but they were totally irregular in terms of frequency and duration. The bath was nice, to chill out if nothing else, not sure it did much for pain relief though! By the time we were eating our tea I was definitely in more pain, more often – to the extent that now everyone else noticed too…

We set about getting organised - finding my maternity notes, the forms I'd forgotten to sign, cameras etc, and covering the bed in a thick towel... I was still worried it was all a big fuss over nothing but I was nonetheless relieved to fall in to bed at about 9.30pm. I decided I would time some contrations at this stage, just to see where we were at – given how quickly labour progressed with B! I timed for about an hour and a half and the contractions were about every 7 minutes, lasting 40 seconds or so… I took some cocodamol, texted the midwife to let her know that something “might” be happening” and after that I turned on my Natal Hypnotherapy track and tried to get some sleep – I had a few more contractions listening to the track, and then they seemed to stop entirely!

5 hours later at around 4am they started up again, but less often – then just before 5am I thought my waters were leaking – I got to the loo without making a mess of the bed (one of my irrational fears!) and then called the midwife to see what was what. My waters going at home was a scary prospect for me, (making a mess aside) as things had become so much more intense when they went with B, and it was only 25 minutes later that she was born! The midwife said that if there were no contractions there was really nothing to do – she told me to call back in an hour or two if something was happening, or at 8am if there’d been no change… back to bed then and then a few very intense and close together contractions – I decided I needed to pee, headed back to the loo and then got myself really scared – I was suddenly too hot, dizzy and really not coping with the pain – M helped me to lie down on the bathroom floor where I endured a few more contractions – and he made the very wise decision to summon the midwife (let’s call her A) at 5.20 – she was there ten minutes later. She examined me then, and I was effaced, and 4cm – I didn’t know whether to be relieved (that I wasn’t about to deliver on the bathroom floor) or disappointed (that I still had such a long way to go!) – eventually M and A got me to my feet, into a pair of shorts and out of the house to A’s car – we were off, the new one was on his/her way whether I liked it or not (I’d already told M quite a few times that I didn’t like it, not at all)! It was probably about 6am by the time we got to the Geburtshaus…

I was finding the contractions pretty hard to cope with by now – I just felt kind of pathetic through them – I didn’t know what to do with myself at all – so when we got to the Gerburtshaus I was just standing uselessly asking “what do I do now?” – it was as if I didn’t know what to do with my hands or something! I had to lie down on the bed – the huge double bed – as far removed from a hospital delivery room as possible! – for the baby to be monitored. I then struggled my way to the toilet – what a totally pointless mission that was. I think at this stage I was bemoaning the lack of gas and air – but all the while the bath was being filled… I had some form of “pain relief” (Buscopan) as a supository and a couple of the cocodamol that I’d brought with me, and then I was able to get in the water… I have to say I was hoping for some sort of magical instant relief, and while it was nice, it was not quite the miracle I was hoping for. It was relaxing though, but M and A were still having to boss me around a lot – I was doing too much chatting and yelling and not enough breathing when I was contracting! At about 6.30 the student midwife K arrived – I was glad she’d go to be there, as I’d seen her quite a few times in the previous few weeks, and she’d been so good with the girls at the hospital appointment – I did ask at one stage why she was looking so worried (I was mid scream) but apparently she was just tired. I guess things went on like that for a while – I eventually discovered there was a knotted rope hanging over the bath, so I had one arm hanging on that, the other trying to dislocate M’s wrist as I writhed in pain.

It took me by surprise that each contraction started with pain, peaked with agony, then tapered off again – I guess that’s the difference having used gas and air in the past to dull out some of the sensations… I did bemoan the lack of entonox quite a lot (and loudly) and asked more than once to go to the hospital for an epidural (was told I’d no hope as I’d have to have bloods done that would take an hour – truth or not, it served to shut me up) or even to have the baby cut out… M informs me that after one contraction I announced that I would rather just come back and do it tomorrow instead. I think there were the usual “I don’t like it” comments, the fact I’d changed my mind about the whole thing, and on one occasion as I twisted in pain – the fact the bath wasn’t big enough – I was assured I could have a swimming pool next time – my typical response was “there’s not going to be a next time!”. I think the other thing that surprised me was the increase in frequency – I was just never ready for the next contraction to start and said so on more than one occasion.

At 6.40am I was examined again – it was a great relief that I had all this done while I was still in the water – both fetal heartrate monitoring (the sonicaid thing was wearing a condom) and internals… I was 7-8cm dilated – this time it was definite disappointment I was feeling that things weren’t further on – even though I’d only been in labour a relatively short amount of time. Throughout the entire labour, I only every felt the contractions in the bottom half of my bump – I guess that’s the business end of things in terms of dilation, but I had expected to feel it all over, so it made me question at times if things were going as they should. Shortly after that, I noticed a change in the contractions. The uniquitous “urge to push” I suppose… This was accompanied by my usual shouts of “I need to poo” to which A responded “no you don’t it’s just the baby” – I was almost gloating when I did poo, just to have proved her wrong! I felt the babies head descend then, and on the first occasion was quite relieved when it slipped back – I felt it gave me more time to work out what I was meant to be doing. A previous conversation we’d had about the risk of shoulder distocia was playing on my mind – the need to deliver slowly so that the baby could be helped out if necessary – so I was determined to do this as well as I could… The head was in the birth canal, and I did manage to stop pushing so that everything else happened slowly – I was able to feel a head of hair through a slimy coating of vernix – C and B were so late the vernix was non existant.

In contrast to the earlier contractions where everything felt out of control and agonising, once it got the pushing stage it was far easier to focus and use the pain to do something useful. The head was delivered gently – very, very slowly, it crowned and then just gradually moved down rather than being pushed out… it felt like ages before the next contraction – I had a wobble again at that point about the baby getting stuck – and while I was waiting there was a huge wriggle, contraction came, and the body was born – A definitely had her hands there somehow, but said she was guiding the baby out, rather than having to maneouver per se… and then at 7.10am our slimy vernix covered BOY was delivered up on to my chest… He was so chilled – I was getting worried he wasn’t breathing because he wasn’t crying – he was breathing though, just so chilled out that he didn’t need to cry!

The cord cutting was delayed, so M and I both got to feel it pulsating – very strange, but quite cool… after that we were waiting for the placenta and having cuddles – I was worried the placenta would take ages, as they don’t routinely give the injection here to help it come away – but 15 minutes after P arrived, it was delivered in a couple of pushes and was deemed intact. Daddy got a chance for cuddles then while the midwifes showered me down – I’d forgotten the whole hollow chest feeling as your rib cage and internal organs suddenly drop back down – so as soon as I stood up I had to sit down again! It was lovely to feel all nice and clean though! M, P and I then retreated to the bed while the midwifes tidied up – within half an hour of being born P was having his first feed… at some stage I was checked over by the 2nd midwife who had finally arrived, missing the delivery totally! – not a graze or scratch, never mind the stitches his sisters had left me with – I would credit the water, the vernix, M’s encouragement and the coaching of the midwife for that – thank you! M and I were left with coke and jaffa cakes (I declined a cup of tea, on the grounds that German tea would inevitably be disappointing!) and our new baby boy while the midwives went off to write up the paperwork. They came back shortly before 8.30 to weigh and measure him – M and I both reckoned bigger than C and smaller than B (so somewhere between 4.17kg and 5.01kg) – all along A said she thought he’d be between those weights well – and the scan less than a week ago said 4.1kg… so when A and K called M over to the scales, I think it’s fair to say we were all quite shocked when it was more than any of us expected – and more than we managed to guess – 5105g, or 11lb 4oz!! He’s 57cm (22.4 inches) long though, so he’s a big long lean thing! Biggest Geburtshaus baby of the year apparently (and top 10, maybe top 5 in their 18 year history!).

By 10am P and I were dressed, and at 10.09, just under three hours after he was born, we were driving home in a taxi to start life as a family of 5! Needless to say in the rush of leaving that morning, none of us thought about getting home again and so we forgot to bring the carseat with us – luckily the Geburtshaus were able to lend us one! P was introduced to granny and granda, toast and tea were consumed and then we headed upstairs to make our nest for the next few days.

aww lovely birth story hun! congratulations x

Congrats again hun. Sounds like all in all you had a lovely birth xxxx

Awwwww that is a lovely (and funny in points!) story. I'm so going to be doing the "i don't want to do this anymore" thing as i mentioned yesterday lmao!

Lovely story, well done Lucy :hugs: What do the girls think of their little (well smaller than them now) brother?

C is totally besotted, B is totally disinterested! C was trying to get him to play last night - he was asleep gripping a toy spatula, pretending to "do cooking" in her words!

Really lovely story, thank you for sharing! Did you find the Natal Hypnotherapy didn't help much once things really got going?

Lovely story hun :) I especially loved the part with you gloating that you did indeed do a poo :rofl:

Congratulations again :)

What a great read Hun, congrats and welcome to the world littleman :)

Hope ur feeling good Lucy and I'll look forward to seeing photos of him soon xx

Pimento, I found with the Natal Hypnotherapy that the main benefit was helping me sleep while I was still pregnant! Valuable in itself... I did reflect in clearer moments of labour on the visualisation of the baby moving down slowly and the "opening sensations" good - but as for Warmth something and Power it was nothing like that! The one thing that did help in early labour was saying to myself 1 2 3 Relax through the contractions...

Lovely story Holywood! glad you are doing well :D I learned some things too ;)

Also, must remember to take my own tea...

Pimento, I found with the Natal Hypnotherapy that the main benefit was helping me sleep while I was still pregnant! Valuable in itself... I did reflect in clearer moments of labour on the visualisation of the baby moving down slowly and the "opening sensations" good - but as for Warmth something and Power it was nothing like that! The one thing that did help in early labour was saying to myself 1 2 3 Relax through the contractions...

Thanks for that :) I'm doing NH this time around so it's helpful to hear your experience. :thumbup:

Wow, what a lovely detailed birth story! Well done and congratulations! xx

Thank you all for your lovely messages! P got weighed again yesterday, and on day 8 is not quite back to his birth weight (5000g instead of 5105g) but he's getting there, and everything is going pretty well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->