VersaSpa? (spray tan)

mcwhmm

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I used to be a big time tanner. I went in to cancel my membership where I tan when I found out that I was pregnant. I then decided to freeze my account (pay $5 a month to keep it open) so that when I did start tanning again, I could stay locked into my price that I was paying even if their prices change. The girl working at this time (back in August) told me that I could also switch to spray tans instead of my normal package. I was surprised by this because the place where I tan is strict about rules. If you show up even 5 minutes before your 48 hours is up, they will refuse you and you will have to wait or come back. I had always thought that any type of tanning at all was off limits. She told me that they have pregnant women come in all the time and use the VersaSpa. She said it's mostly natural ingredients. I kind of let this go in one ear and out the other..

Now, 5-6 months later I'm debating. I am so pale that in Christmas pictures I feel like my face is glowing because of the flash! Lol. It's my birthday on Friday and I was thinking about getting my nails done and doing something for myself to feel good again instead of BLAH. I just look miserable! Lol and I have been told that!

On the website it says that VersaSpa is totally safe for pregnant women. I have also done a lot of googling and get mixed opinions about this topic, of coarse. My doctors office seems to be very laid back. Although I haven't asked about this specific topic, when I asked about getting my nails done (which some people say is a NO NO) and getting my hair done (which some think is a HUGE NO NO) both times the doctor kind of laughed and said of coarse you can and then explained that when we are pregnant we already feel and feel like we look miserable, so it's nice to do something to make yourself feel normal and pretty as a pick me up :p

Have any of you ladies had any experiences with this? Or chosen to spray tan?

I'm also open to suggestions for GOOD self tanners. I would rather not use a self tanner because I worry about it looking very streaky and uneven, but if anybody knows any AMAZING ones, I'm open to exploring my options :) I tried a cheap Loreal one when I was pregnant with DD and I hated it.

Just to not read and run - I don't think a tanning booth should/would be a problem. Maybe cover your mouth and nose? We use all kinds of creams and lotions on our bodies, I don't see how this would be any worse.
As for self tanners I've heard great things about St. Tropez, the mousse. It's supposed to be amazing. Also, make sure you scrub down and apply moisturizer on rough areas such as knees, elbows, underarms, and bikini area. Then you should be good :) Good luck!

I honestly don't see why tanning would be any more dangerous than being in the sunlight, as long as you don't let yourself overheat.

I would rather do tanning instead of chemicals on the skin. Saw somewhere sunless tanner may be bad in pregnancy (I think it was another forum, so I have no link).

I've had a spray tan in this pregnancy for a wedding and also had a few worth my last pregnancy too. It's only like lathering your skin with cream? X

Thanks for your input ladies.. I'm really thinking that it can't be any different than coloring my hair. Ugh I just can't decide lol It's so tricky when there's no research that is done on a lot of these things. Then everybody has their own opinion. Then, as pregnant ladies, we are "shunned" away from the beauty world lol. Can't buy cute clothes (that I normally would), can't have a tan, can't get our hair done, can't eat deli meat... All of my favorite things in a nut shell! lol I had my hair done with DD and with this one both a few times. My doctor said no problem. I didn't eat deli meat with DD, but I have had a few sandwiches here and there with this pregnancy. My doctor said it was fine in moderation. I'm thinking that spray tanning should be find in moderation too, but I feel as if I'm taking too many risks?

Here's the trouble.

When a baby is born with a birth defect or a complication or is under birth weight or is premature there is no categorical way to tell why. And it happens to women with no KNOWN risk factors. (smoking, drinking during pregnancy, genetic predisposition etc) so they figure there must be something else causing it. So anything that hasn't been strenuously tested and given the 'all clear' gets black listed.

But if you look at the studies on a lot of chemicals like the ones in your spray tan you'll find that the reason they got black listed is because that chemical, at a dose so much higher than the amount in the product and at least 100x higher than anything you could absorb through the skin anyway, caused a problem in animal studies. But at the doses that you WOULD be getting potentially through your skin nothing significant happened.

Take that information however you choose. Yes that chemical has the potential to do harm but so does garlic if you take a high enough dose so do what you feel is right for you.:hugs:

I would think it is okay in moderation. I mean I could see if you did it every week maybe, but before your bday or a few times during the pregnancy seems just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->