1/5 Engaged What does this mean??

I am a student midwife. 1/5 means your baby is 1/5th engaged into the pelvis so has 4/5ths to go. They dont tend to get much lower than 3/5ths engaged usually though. Some doctors and midwives do write it the other way around, so always ask how many 5ths engaged they are :) xx

In my green notes it says as explanation:

'Engagement is how deep the presenting part - e.g. the baby's head - is below the brim of the pelvis. It's measure by the proportion which can be still felt through the abdomen, in fifths; 5/5 = free; 4/5 = sitting on the pelvic brim; 3/5 = lower but most is still above the brim; 2/5 = engaged, as most is below the brim; and 1/5 or 0/5 = deeply engaged, as hardly still palpable from above.

So that's exactly the other way around as how you use it! It's so confusing :(!

I've seen this in my notes too, but it was my GP i seen today, and when she had a feel of my belly she just said the head was done slightly more than last time ....she didnt say engaged or anything, i didnt think nothing off it 'til i got home and looked at my notes.
I don't feel like I have dropped loads, or have a bowling ball between my legs as others have described...its just all so confusing!

LOL.

Same for me! She wrote down I'm 1/5th engaged. For 1 day I felt a real intense pressure down there, but now I feel fine again.

Can first time babies disengage again?

lauki- thats the way my midwife measures me. I was 3/5 engaged last time I saw her, and since having shooting pains in my left leg and more pressure I am presuming baby is now engaged at 2/5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->