1 month old suddenly with a difficult latch?

MEPride

Reaction score
Literally just turned 1 month and in last couple days she has had such a hard time latching, especially initially.

Repeatedly spits out my nipple. Uses her arms to push away when I try to bring her close. Won't close her mouth when the nipple is in her mouth. Then gets frustrated and fussed or cries. We eventually latch and get her fed but it's not without a battle sometimes.

Any idea as to why this may be happening? I thought maybe she was overly hungry?

Also seems to happen MORE when she is more alert and awake. I also think she becomes bored or distracted while nursing when she is more alert and awake which has prolonged our nursing sessions at times, but that's a separate issue.

Any suggestions as to why she does this behavior?

Well, even though no one has responded I figured I'd update. I believe her difficulty with latching is due to a growth spurt, which really presented strongly today when she slept all day then was super cranky and clusterfeeding. I think she is just so hungry it's creating difficulty with her latching. She's 'bobbing for apples' quite frantically!

Just saw this, I was wondering either that, or has she ever been evaluated for a minor tongue tie or even a lip tie? That can greatly contribute. Also, does she take binkies or bottles? Those things can cause nipple preference which can make lo act the way you describe at the breast.

My son does this a lot do to FOMO (fear of missing out). Once he became more alert and aware he didn't want to miss anything so it can be very difficult to nurse him. He's much better if I nurse him in a dark quiet room where there are no distractions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->