1 month old won't keep paci in at bedtime

Laeyla

Reaction score
I am big on routines and he has been on the same bedtime routine pretty much since we got home from hospital. Although I no longer go to bed with him...well, sort of. Snort.
So, at 7pm I feed him, then either he has a bath or a quick spot clean. Pjs, lotion, little cuddle time and a song and then put him in bassinet. I started giving him a paci within the first week and didn't have any issues. Now, however, starting like a week ago...once I put him in the bassinet (and hope to spend a little time w my 2 other kids before their bedtime) he keeps losing his paci and I keep having to go replace it...rinse and repeat for an hour to an hour 45 min. Then he wakes up 30 min later hungry.
I don't know what to do here. Keep doing what I'm doing? Should I try something different? He has sometimes had his thumb in his mouth when I go in to replace it so I don't want to take it away. I've tried another brand, that was even worse and I don't want to confuse him too much since I'm breastfeeding. He is using a MAM newborn one. Help??? I'm honestly getting frustrated. :(

I should add he only does this at bedtime. After feeds throughout the night he's good, usually doesn't even need the paci after.

How long is the routine after his 7pm feed? Could he actually be hungry again at the end of the bath, lotion, song and that's why the pacifier doesn't work for him and he lets it go?
Other than that I was wondering if, now that he's older and more alert and aware, the bedtime routine is too stimulating. We had to stop reading books at bedtime for a few months because for my LO they were just too stimulating and stopped her from winding down.

I don't think it's too stimulating.. if anything I am trying to make it longer now by rocking him until his eyes are partially closed. He is always wide eyed after getting into his pjs and lotion. After that it's bring him to our room sing twinkle twinkle put him down and leave. So very quick usually because on bath nights I give my daughter a bath after putting him down.

I simply wouldn’t bother with the pacifier if it’s not working out for you. Just take it away.

My LO would still have been cluster feeding at that age. I don't know how people do it with older children to feed and put to bed!

I simply wouldn’t bother with the pacifier if it’s not working out for you. Just take it away.

He wants the comfort at bedtime. It's either his paci or his thumb...and I'd rather the paci.

My LO would still have been cluster feeding at that age. I don't know how people do it with older children to feed and put to bed!

Yeah..It's definitely tricky. Especially when my husband works nights. Thankfully my 5 year old showers so that's helpful on bath nights.

My first had a dummy and woke for it a lot my second and third thankfully wouldn’t take one and I’m glad because I think they sleep better without when they depend on something to sleep when it falls out they wake up 😩 x hope u figure it out x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->