1 week in and in agony

Staceysparkle

Reaction score
1 week in feeding my beautiful baby girl and really struggling with nipple pain :cry: I've had help from midwives and going to ask them to check I'm latching her correctly when I see them again Sunday but in so much pain every feed. Wondering if nipple shields might be an idea but heard bad things about them?

My understanding with nipple shields is that baby can get really dependent on them. I can't speak from experience as I've never used them. Expressing between feeds so you've got breastmilk ready for baby and using lanolin on your nipples can help take some of that pain too. Also try and invest in some gel pads for your boobs. The first few weeks of breastfeeding can be really tough! Hang in there because it WILL get better :hugs:

I think it took a couple of weeks for the pain to stop for me but it did get better! Lanolin really helped when my nipples got cracked and sore.

Has anyone checked for tongue tie? everyone said DD had a good latch because her mouth position looked good but she was using her gums instead of her tongue to get milk. Do you feel sore or bruised? I had to take painkillers to get through and lanolin cream really helped

Tbh I am using a nipple shield mostly due to him being premature and although his latch was good and suck strong he struggled to do the whole suck and breathe thing. My nipples really hurt until he was in NICU at 3 days old but I slapped on lansolon cream like no tomorrow. Have you tried using a pillow under neath tonaupport? I gond my arms tore easily so it’s easier to have a pillow to support baby

Get some lansinoh cream to help. But it sounds like latch issues, def go and see a lactation consultant and look to see if you have a La leche league in your area as they are great for advice. Good luck, it does get easier x

Aww with both my babies I had horrendous pain for the first few weeks. My nipples were cracked and bleeding and i had searing pain every time lo latched on. Everyone kept saying it must be latch problems or tongue tie but it wasn't... I think it's more like breaking in a pair of new shoes, they rub and get you might get blisters but they'll stretch eventually!! I used nipple shields occasionally to ease the pain. If you just use once/twice a day i don't think you'll have a problem. Make sure you use lanolin very generously after every feed. I also found the avent breast shells helped as they allowed air to get to my nipples.
Just to check is the pain just at initial latch on or throughout the whole feed?

What do your nipples look like when they come out of baby's mouth after a feed? Are they angled/wedge shaped like a used lipstick? Or squashed with any white lines across them? This could indicate either tongue tie or not enough breast tissue in baby's mouth, or latching too symmetrically.

It's very common for breastfeeding to hurt in the first few weeks as you learn to get the angle right, but if it's agony for the whole feed somthing definately needs investigating/correcting. It isn't "supposed" to be agony.

Nipple shields CAN sometimes offer temporary relief but it is quite possible to feel pain through them (especially if baby isn't using their mouth correctly) or for them to make latching even more difficult. They aren't designed to shield you from pain -IMO they should be called nipple extenders not shields as their function is to encourage sucking and milk flow in people with inverted or short nipples.

Lansinoh lanolin cream is amazing, total god send.
I found looking at latching techniques on YouTube incredibly helpful!
I’m sure you’ll get it down soon, don’t give up mama your doing great :hugs:

Hang in there. All the people who say breastfeeding shouldn’t hurt, have never breastfed a newborn. Your nipples will crack, be irritated, bleed, and feel like they’re going to fall off. It gets better after about 10 days. Lots of lanolin will help!

Just wanted to say thank you for your replies not been on here in ages but didn’t use shields in the end just persevered and still going strong 14 weeks in now so thanks ladies

Hi. Im so sorry for your agony. Probiotics like Qiara reduce discomfort associated with breast pain and mastitis, by aggressively targeting and outcompeting the pathogenic bacteria in breast milk that may be causing the pain and infection. Simply take Qiara at the first signs of breast pain or mastitis it really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->