1 year old won't eat a thing

Attalu

Reaction score
I DS turned one last week and he still only has milk. I've been trying to wean him since he was six months old. He's tried everything. You name it, he's had it. He won't eat anything I try to feed him off a spoon and finger foods end up everywhere but his mouth. We sit down together for every meal so he can watch us eat and hopefully copy but he never does. He's got a few little friends who love to eat but nothing I do seems to work. I've even tried cutting out most of his milk but he still doesn't eat.

I've always been pretty relaxed about it and figured he'd eat when he's ready but I'm starting to worry about him now since I was told he's going to end up anaemic by a completely useless health visitor. The health visitors are no good here here, he's lost 7oz in 3 weeks but they don't really seem to care

Has anyone been through something like this?

:shrug:

How long have you been trying finger foods? Like consistently without attempting to get him to eat or making a big deal of it or trying to spoon feed him? I don't have first hand experience as my daughter loves to eat. But we did BLW and started at 6 months with just finger foods and it wasn't really until she was 9 or 10 months that most of it didn't just end up going everywhere. If you have only just started with finger foods in the last couple months, my gut would say to just keep persisting with it, not making a big deal about whether he eats or not, or making it a battle, trying lots of new things beyond what you'd typically eat as a family, and see what happens. My daughter when through a tough spell around 9-11 months (once she started to eat lots) when all she would eat (any she ate lots of it!) was fruit and yogurt. We just kept at it, offered what she would eat, plus lots of new things. One day I gave her a piece of vegetable quiche and she ate two giant adult sized slices. After that, her eating really picked up. She's an amazing eater now. It really can take a few months. Beyond that, I wouldn't necessarily cut down on milk. I'd offer food first and as a primary source of nutrition and calories now, but I'd still offer him milk because he needs that too (plus a good vitamin supplement - we use the Vitabiotics one, I think it's Well Baby? which has a good amount of both vitamin D and iron).

It's been at least 3 months since we started with finger foods.
Most of the food ends up all over the place, he will occasionally out some in his mouth though. He sort of chews it a little then takes it back out and it never gets swallowed.
I know a lot of people can underestimate how much their LO is eating but I know he's not eating any of what he's given. I'm at a total loss. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->