10.5 Months and still not sleeping through?!

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
Colton is still not sleeping through the night. I think we have tried just about everything. It's driving me nuts. He used to sleep though, starting about 4mo; but it stopped when he was 6mo old and he hasn't been sleeping through since. Although, he is better. He started getting up 2-3 times during the night, and now he only gets up once. And the time is random, sometimes its 2am; sometimes 5am; can be anytime inbetween. I know he is still tired as he will hardly open his eyes, he just starts squirming, then whining, and if I dont feed him by then he will start the full on crying.
I tried giving him water, which he took but still kept waking up.. this went on for about 2 months until he started getting smart and wont take water now.. he will scream for some formula.
I tried putting some cereal in his last bottle, of 8oz (which he drinks all of). That worked the first night and hasn't worked since.

When we get his new crib we are going to let him CIO. We started doing this which got him asleep on his own at the beginning of the night (2 nights I got him after 20min, 3rd night he fell asleep on his own after 30min, 4th night he fell asleep after 10min, then his crib broke :dohh: ) but we still have the problem of him waking in the middle of the night. I do normally bring him to our bed in the middle of the night because I'm sooo tired.

So what do you suggest? Should I try not bring him into our bed in the middle of the night? Try letting him CIO when he wakes?
Any tips on how you got your LOs to sleep through?!
I'm desperate for a full nights sleep again. :sleep:

Aaron did not sleep through until he was 11 months old, when he suddenly changed overnight and has slept through almost every night since. My sister-in-law's family came to stay, so he had to sleep in the travel cot in our room for a week. He woke up almost every hour! When they went home and he could sleep in his own cot again he slept through for the first time and has done ever since.

I know this probably isn't much help, but perhaps it will encourage you that babies can change overnight. How long does he cry for if you don't bring him into your bed? Sometimes Aaron used to wake up and cry for just a few minutes, but would go back to sleep on his own if we didn't disturb him.

He doesn't usually cry for very long before I go get him when he is in his crib. I just fear that he will start crying worse.
He wakes up when he is in bed with us too though, and I cannot get him settled without a bottle. I'm thinking he might just want a bottle for comfort?!

I'm glad to know someone elses little ones didn't sleep through for so long though. It's reassuring. It seems like every baby sleeps through alot younger than Colton. :(

Ethan as only slept thru in last 7 wks and he is 2 in march x

Ewan started sleeping through when he was 3 yrs old! and still wakes occasionally now.
Nothing worked to settle him except a drink. I found it was easier just to give a drink taking 10 mins than fight with him to get him to go back to sleep.

Brennan wakes up every hour. I would kill if he only woke up once a night. He has also been spending about an hour in the middle of the night crying. No matter what I do, it is not getting better. I took him to the doc, and he found no physical reason for his waking.

summer has only started to sleep through for the past two nights. we had to over come the bringing into bed with us too... we used the CIO method, however i was pleasantly suprised as for like the 1st nigth she only cried for 30 mins when she woke we just kept going in tucking her back up putting her dummy in her mouth then leaving her and so on until she eventually went back to sleep and it only took a couple of nights, however she didnt always sleep in our bed she would sleep in her cot aswel so she wasnt too used to it. we also have had the prob with dummy which we used the CIO method for too, we put her dummy on a clip so iknew it was in her reach and let her cry (not scream, just whinge and cry) until she found it, once she did it the once she has done it every time since and i havnt had to get uo to her once, now she has pretty much stopped waking up altogether now she knows that when she wakes mommy wont come running straight to me and even if she does she will find her dummy and go back to sleep on her own.

i will stop rambling on but just wanted to say that the CIO method did work for us and summer 9.5 months so not much younger, if you are ok to do it you should def give it a go i just didnt leave summer until she was really upset and screaming.

really hope you get it sorted soon, i kno how horrible it is!

:sigh: I guess I will just have to keep giving him drinks. That seems to be what he wants I guess. It just sucks getting up and fixing up a bottle of formula every night still. I wish he would still take water, I could just fix a drink of water and keep it next to us. Or if he would hold his bottle himself I could leave a bottle of water in his crib with him. But he wont hold his bottle. :(

Samantha.. oh my, I'm sorry. I couldn't imagine waking up that much.

I used to make the bottle before i went to bed and put it in a bottle insulator thingy, and by the time he woke it would be the right temp. or you could keep a flask of water.

Just in the summer when it is a bit tricky.

Hey hun...I know exsactly what you mean...My son is 1 and 7 months and he still wont sleep through! And my daughter still wakes up too!! Its a pain cos i sometimes think they wake eachother up :dohh:

:sigh: I guess I will just have to keep giving him drinks. That seems to be what he wants I guess. It just sucks getting up and fixing up a bottle of formula every night still. I wish he would still take water, I could just fix a drink of water and keep it next to us. Or if he would hold his bottle himself I could leave a bottle of water in his crib with him. But he wont hold his bottle. :(

Samantha.. oh my, I'm sorry. I couldn't imagine waking up that much.

Oh well, I don't have much choice. I have been told by several people that I will survive this and he will grow out of it. I have my doubts.

My doc said to give Bren water instead of nursing. I tried that last night. :dohh: It pissed him off immediatly!

Can you maybe make up a bottle before hand and put it in a little cooler? I honestly don't know which is more frustrating Bren's waking every hour or Colton's just waking once cause he is just soooooo close to making it all night. :)

Colton screams now if I try and give him water. He was taking it but then decided he didn't want it anymore, one night just out of the blue :(
I hate that Colton almost makes it all night. I would actually rather him wake up at like 2am than 5am.. lol. When he wakes up at like 5.30 (like this morning), then wants a bottle and goes back down until 7-7.30 so by the time I fall back asleep I have to wake right back up. Whereas when he wakes at 2am I get a good amount of sleep before waking again.
However, with the 5am it feels like he is almost going to make it through :dohh: like, uhh.. you could have just slept 2 more hours! lol.

Do you feed him enough solids during the day?

I feel sorry for you and samantha... I am praying Jasmine keeps up her reputation for being good at night.

he's cut down on solids himself since going on our food. But before he ate a 4oz jar three times a day, sometimes we replaced one with a 6oz stage three. But thats just been recently that we've made the switch to our food and therefore he isn't eating alot.. he's been doing this for almost five months. :(
between about 2mo and 4mo he slept 5 hours a night
then 4mo to 6mo he slept 8-9 hours a night..
now he wakes up in the middle.

maybe try giving weetabix before bed, this has helped with summer.

:hugs: Im not too sure what to say , i used the CIO method when they are around 9 weeks old and from 10 weeks of age they both have slept from 8pm - 7:30am and still are doing this.

Have you tried this method? I know its not for everyone , and a few look down on it , but its got to be doing something right if i have never had a sleepless night ! :lol:

If you dont want to im not too sure what to suggest , just huge hugs :hugs:

leanne.. I give him cereal in his last bottle every night. Even yesterday evening he ate more at dinner than he normally does, and still woke up, twice. :( He ate a bit of noodles and chicken from our dinner and then had half a jar (so about 2oz) of banana yogurt. Which doesn't seem like very much compared to what he USED to eat, but still more than he has been eating recently.

Kay.. I started using CIO until his crib broke :( we are getting our income taxes any day now and are going to buy a new crib and start again. He was doing really good.. 1st night cried for 20 min until I got him, 2nd night was the same, 3rd night cried for 30 min fell asleep on his own, 4th night cried for less than 15 min and fell asleep on his own.. then bam.. broken crib, when all was going good :( :dohh:
I just didn't know if I should use CIO when he wakes in the middle of the night too. I dont know if he just wants a drink (although he wont take water.. I tried again last night) or if he wants to be comforted because he isn't really able to put himself to sleep.

Wow he sounds so much like Noah. Noah also useto sleep through the night, infact he would sleep 13 hours straight. After he started to cut his first teeth, he stoped. Now he is up every 2-4 hours through the night. Whenever I try the CIO method he projectile vomits. I wonder if it's thier age. But personaly I think sleeping til 5am is sleeping through the night. :)

Wow he sounds so much like Noah. Noah also useto sleep through the night, infact he would sleep 13 hours straight. After he started to cut his first teeth, he stoped. Now he is up every 2-4 hours through the night. Whenever I try the CIO method he projectile vomits. I wonder if it's thier age. But personaly I think sleeping til 5am is sleeping through the night. :)

even if he isn't going to bed until 11-11.30pm? LOL. I know 5am isn't the right time for him to get up because he wont open his eyes because he is still sooo tired. He just lays there (never opening his eyes) crying.
When he cosleeps with us he doesn't go to bed until around 11pm. IDK why, thats just when he falls asleep. I dont make him go to bed at a certain time when he is cosleeping because then I spend the whole time trying to get him not to crawl off teh bed with him screaming. :dohh: When I do put him in his crib and let him CIO I put him to bed at 10pm. Which after I get him ritually sleeping in his crib I'm going to start moving it up because I would love for him to go to bed early. However, the last time I tried to get him to bed at 8, he fell asleep and then woke at 10pm and stayed up until 2am :shock: As you can imagine I was in a horrible mood the next morning :lol:

IDK why he started waking up though.. it just sorta happened and hasn't stopped. :shrug: He got his first two teeth at 4.5 months (second two at 5.5, third two at 6.5) and slept through fine when those were coming through, it was like they didn't even bother him.

It is so hard Charlie still gets up a few times in the night and has a little grisel and goes back to sleep he a lso has a dummy, can i ask what CIO is ? :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->