11 hours in the car with a 6 year old and 3 month old.. halp!

Annunakian

Mom of two
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting family in July, it will be an 11 hour car ride. I have traveled many hours with myself but never kids and I have NO idea what to do to keep them busy. I'm not too worried about my DS, it's DD that gets fussy if she is in her carseat too long.

What have you done when traveling that long of a distance with young kids? :shrug:

In Sept we will be taking a 16 hour drive to Florida with a 4 year old and 5 month old so I'm worried too! The best advice I can give you is what we are doing, and did 2 years ago when we drove there - drive over night. My then 2 year old slept almost the whole way, which was great. We also put in a small DVD player so he could watch movies.

Good luck!

Does your baby sleep well in the car? Will your son entertain her? There's not a lot you can do with them when they're that young, since they can't eat cheerios or play with toys and books. Playing music helps sooth my little one while we're in the car. He's partial to Jack Johnson's early work :haha:

We are doing this next month- we are going to break up the journey with an overnight stay, we will stop every 2/3 hours and roughly work round her routinue she sleeps well in the car

i thought you couldnt have babies in a carseat for more than 4 hours? not sure if thats right though

i thought you couldnt have babies in a carseat for more than 4 hours? not sure if thats right though

Its 2 hours in car seat one hour out the car seat.
X

Truthfully, I would attempt to fly!

If not, I did this.. I left 1 hour before he 1st scheduled nap, then he slept 1-2 hours (3 hours down), break, then repeat.

i'm going on a 4 hour trip to devon i'm dreading that,the 8 yr old hes easily entertained with his DS LOL but a LO's gona be 4 months old i'm not so sure.

i'm going on a 4 hour trip to devon i'm dreading that,the 8 yr old hes easily entertained with his DS LOL but a LO's gona be 4 months old i'm not so sure.

I did a trip to isle of wight about a month ago and it was fine.. We just stopped every now and again to let LO stretch her legs. X

A night trip! I should have thought of that. Great idea! I am going to have to bring that up and see what I can do.

She does alright in her car seat and will only be entertained for so long in one spot. She is not wanting to be doing one thing or in one spot for too long so she likes to keep busy.

I would fly but it's too expensive and I would rather bypass all the tsa stuff.. Besides, I planned on doing some photography on the way down as we do rest stops. :D Can't do that in a plane! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"