13 Pound 10 Ounce 6.5 Month Old

DebbieF

Reaction score
We had dd's 6 month appointment yesterday and the nurse practitioner we saw suggested we start giving Duocal to her to help her put on some weight. She was born a week late at 7 pounds 13 ounces and has been slow to put on weight since the beginning. She was EBF until 5 months when we started introducing solids. I have been trying to get her to eat some avocado puree with little success for extra calories. She is in the 82nd percentile for height (27 inches) but only the 6th percentile for weight (13 pounds 10 ounces) and 13th percentile for head circumference. She is meeting all of her milestones and is a happy girl most of the time. Should I be worried or just accept the fact that she is going to be a skinny girl?

Accept the fact she is smaller.

My DS (he was preemie, but has always been put on the charts on chronoligical age) was less than that at 6 months, but around that. He was 14lbs at 9 months, and 14.5 at 12. He fell off the charts for weight at 12.

At 13.5, he was over 17lbs. Growth spurts happen!

Anyway, my doctor isn't concerned at all (was a bit concerned at the 12 month). He was diagnosed with iron deficient anemia at 12 months, but I think that was due to prematurity. The iron supplements probably helped with the growth spurt.

Sounds like your LO is still on the charts, has she been dropping centiles or has she always been in the 1-10%tile?

Babies come in all shapes and sizes, BF babies tend to tail off for weight 3-4 months but will be longer and have bigger heads. I would make sure you're still offering plenty of milk and offer it before the solids, I know it would seem like solids will help a baby put weight on but actually the most nutritional thing at this stage is milk, obviously you need to do solids I'm not saying stop but don't worry about overloading solids to the loss of milk, always offer milk first for now. I really wouldn't worry, sounds like you're doing a fab job to me :flower:

If she has been like this for a long time, but it otherwise happy and thriving. I wouldn't stress about it too much. It doesn't hurt to continue with the higher kilojoule foods, but unless there was an obvious failure to thrive or meet milestones try not to panic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->