14 hour cluster feed

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is normal but it seems to happen once a week (maybe twice). It just seems like a very big feed from noon till early hours of the next morning and barely any sleep in between. Baby was extremely fussy in the earlier feeding which gave me the impression she was cranky and wanted to sleep, then she cried a lot which made me wonder if it was wind. At night she wasn't crying or fussy just wanted to feed a lot. And she does have shorter cluster feed it's just the 14 hr ones that concern me because she doesn't seem to be getting much sleep!

Her regular feeding durations are from 10-40 minutes every 3 hours or so. 3 dirty diapers a day and diaper is wet every time i change it (usually before feeding). She's close to 4 weeks old now.

Is this normal or could it be an underlying problem disguised as a cluster feed?

Could it be growth spurts? I know my DD seemed to have one every few days for the first 8 weeks and she would constantly feed and be fussy for 12-24 hours but then go back to her sweet little self. It settled down after 8 weeks. If you're worried speak to your health visitor or equivalant depending on where you are.

Could you be not drinking or eating enough in those days?
Xx

I hope it is a growth spurt but I do think I haven't been eating and drinking enough :(

Will get In touch with pediatrician tomorrow.

She seems better today. Fed every 2 hrs after waking up in the morning but at night she slept 4 hrs after last night feed.

In the morning she didn't sleep much between feeds and seemed content/alert and didn't give me any hunger cues till later.

Maybe it was a growth spurt. But I also do think I should make an effort to eat better and stay hydrated. My appetite was quite big during pregnancy but it seems to have returned to my pre-pregnancy days. That coupled with feeling that I barely have time to do anything. Should really work on that.

Definitely find things you can eat, leave oat bars and bottles of water around the house where you sit and feed or whatever.
Make a packed lunch for yourself for when you don't get chance to make anything.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->