• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

14 month old sleep problems

Willow82

Reaction score
So my 14 month old DD is a bit of a nightmare in the evenings at the moment. Getting her to sleep is a frustrating, wearying 2 hour battle. Once she's down, she's ok. In fact, she's better than ever, only needing her dummy replacing every now and then. Until recently, she was wanting to come into the bed for a bit and then would be in and out of her cot depending on what she wanted.

We don't have much of an evening at the moment though, as it feels like all of our time is spent getting her to sleep. She goes up to bed at 7, has vitamins, teeth brushed and a story. She is then held. If we put her in her cot at this point, she a) gets really upset or b) stands up and starts bouncing. She's never self settled. When we hold her, she either babbles away, pulls our hair, throws her dummy around or fights to get out of our arms. If she is quiet for a bit, she will sometimes look like she's falling asleep but for some reason can't. If we then put her on the bed and pat her, she will roll around and then crawl to the bed posts and start bouncing up and down. If we put her in the cot and pat her, the same thing happens. If we leave the room, she cries. We often end up walking around the room with her but again, she fights us when we do this even when her eyes are going.

I was thinking that maybe her nap are too long. We dropped to one nap around 10 months I think. At nursery last week, her nap was lasting 2 hours although she was awake by 2. Although, yesterday she napped for 50 minutes, was awake by 1.45 but still refused to sleep until 9pm!!

I spoke to the HV this morning who was next to useless, telling me that we had to set boundaries and cry it out. DD is a very intense, highly strung baby who gets herself into a state really easily, so I'm not sure if it would work with her anyway.

Anyone else had similar issues and come out the other side?

I would add that I think she's teething again after a bit of a break where she had all four molars come in at once.

Actually, it sounds like she needs to go to bed even earlier. I call it "the window". It is the few minutes you have between when your child is tired and when they'll become overly tired and won't sleep at all.

Take my 2-year-old for example. This window occurs from about 6:52pm-7:00pm. If we get caught up and don't put her to bed within that window, she will be wide awake, and she will cry and scream rather than sleep, and she won't fall asleep until 9 or 10. She is my most difficult child (I mean sleep-wise). At 13-18 months, her sleep window was 6pm-6:07pm most days. If she rubbed her eyes or slowed down at any time near that window, I would rush to put her to bed then, even if it meant skipping her nap. This was to help maintain our schedule rather than the routine.

Actually, it sounds like she needs to go to bed even earlier. I call it "the window". It is the few minutes you have between when your child is tired and when they'll become overly tired and won't sleep at all.

Take my 2-year-old for example. This window occurs from about 6:52pm-7:00pm. If we get caught up and don't put her to bed within that window, she will be wide awake, and she will cry and scream rather than sleep, and she won't fall asleep until 9 or 10. She is my most difficult child (I mean sleep-wise). At 13-18 months, her sleep window was 6pm-6:07pm most days. If she rubbed her eyes or slowed down at any time near that window, I would rush to put her to bed then, even if it meant skipping her nap. This was to help maintain our schedule rather than the routine.

She doesn't show any tired signs at all though. She had 1 hour 15 minute nap today, with a wake up time of around 1.30. Before I took her up, she was happily throwing a ball around our living room, babbling away. I've been trying for an hour now to get her to sleep 🙁

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->