Number of presents / money spent

Babybump87

Reaction score
It’s 2am and finally finished the last of the wrapping and as per usual I can’t sleep !

Can’t help but worry about the fact that usually we get the same amount of presents for each child minus DS as he’s only 18 months , but this year we have went with a budget for each child so now DD1 (11) has less presents but has an IPad and Apple pen …

I’m sure she will be over the moon and very grateful for what we have got her . I'm just a worrier and don’t want her to be disappointed with less gifts !

I was worried about this too as it looks like one has more presents, but the other one has more expensive presents, but they understand it all adds up to the same amount so hopefully yours will understand too :)

How old are your DDs.

This is the first yesr dd1s gifts cost considerably more then dd2. She is 11 and understands she has expensive tastes so didn't seem phased she had less....she was very happy with everything. She actually took longer to open hers too.

Ah I feel you. The quality vs quantity. At some age, children do naturally shit to wanting less but more expensive gifts versus unwrapping. If they’re old enough to be getting an iPad then they’re old enough to have that conversation. You can definitely rationalize with an 11 year old. My brother is 3 years older than me, I’m 9 years older than our twin brothers. It’s a natural shift. I also just bought for my cousins’ kids and the girls got one present while the boys got two because they’re toys were cheaper.

My one tip would be maybe have the iPad charged + setup so she can tinker with it right away.

Ahh thanks ladies I had no need to be worried DD1 (nearly 11) said she noticed she had less gifts and realised she was getting something special and was delighted ! Her exact words were as you said Dobby quality over quantity ! She’s been on it all day ! I think she knows now she will get better more expensive gifts just less than her siblings who are 8 , 4 and 18 months.

I thought she was on the fence about the whole Santa being real but when she opened one of her gifts she laughed and said ooooh love those someone’s been to Home Bargains so I think she’s known for the past few weeks and just played along .

Thanks for your reassuring replies !

Hope you’ve all had a great day !

Is it something that's really obvious? I used to try to make sure that they all had exactly the same and it just became impossible, you'd be there like "I need to find 2 more things for him totalling £10 and one more thing for him for £15" so now I just make sure it's all roughly the same. It'll all even it's self out over the years. As long as you haven't got one child with 2 thinks and one with 20 while they are still young enough to not know the value or that they are coming from you based on cost not behaviour.

I'd say DD2 had slightly more in number. She's just easier to buy for, but they were pretty even.

(My under the tree analogy didn't work as there was too much).
GridArt_20231226_155522812.jpg

Is it something that's really obvious? I used to try to make sure that they all had exactly the same and it just became impossible, you'd be there like "I need to find 2 more things for him totalling £10 and one more thing for him for £15" so now I just make sure it's all roughly the same. It'll all even it's self out over the years. As long as you haven't got one child with 2 thinks and one with 20 while they are still young enough to not know the value or that they are coming from you based on cost not behaviour.
Yeah I think I just massively over thought the whole thing and since this was our first year with DD1 wanting less toys and more grown up things. 2 of them got roughly the same amount and DS2 got less with being a baby.

Starting my Christmas shopping early next year . We started so late this year which I think added to the stress !

Yeah I think I just massively over thought the whole thing and since this was our first year with DD1 wanting less toys and more grown up things. 2 of them got roughly the same amount and DS2 got less with being a baby.

Starting my Christmas shopping early next year . We started so late this year which I think added to the stress !
I'm an over thinker too, its easy for me to say don't stress over it, it's not so easy for me to not stress over it. When I stopped trying to make everything even it was difficult and sometimes I do still worry about it but I know really and truly as long as they have something to open they'll be happy. Ds2 could have a Toblerone and nothing else and still enjoy his Christmas :haha:

I'm an over thinker too, its easy for me to say don't stress over it, it's not so easy for me to not stress over it. When I stopped trying to make everything even it was difficult and sometimes I do still worry about it but I know really and truly as long as they have something to open they'll be happy. Ds2 could have a Toblerone and nothing else and still enjoy his Christmas :haha:
That’s it something I stress over massively is making sure they all have the same ! I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and stop trying to make everything even and just go with what they like .

They all loved their gifts and have been made up the last few days !

Aww bless him - kids are so funny at times !

It does eventually level itself out. Like ds4 has a PS5 this year, bit last year and the year before he didn't get anything big like that. The others didn't get anything that big, but one of them got a new console last year and the other 2 got a new console the year before. Ds5 hasn't had anything like that yet as he's only 3.

Yeah I think it totally depends on what each child asks for too . I think I can stop over thinking it now but I do it on birthdays too (I just can’t control myself haha ) . My boys won’t be bothered for a while with them being 1 and 4 .
Looking forward to a little New Year’s Eve drink now !

Honestly, I'm afraid to count how much money I spent on gifts this Christmas, but the number of these was about 25 pieces, since we have a big family. Some gifts were quite expensive, but thanks to factorykick customer service, they cost less. By the way, all teenagers in our family are fans of branded clothes. I also love it, that's why it was not difficult to choose gifts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->