16 and planning a completly natural birth!

jozylynn896

Reaction score
I need some support! When I tell people I'm planning on an all natural birth they automatically laugh and call me crazy, not in a rude way. But it does really bother me. I'm 16, 5"9" and 200 pounds. I know that childbirth is ppainful, but I want to at least try. It.
Has anyone got any advice for me? Did people call you guys crazy?
I just don't want to get an epidural. I understand I might crack and say give me the medicine! But I at least wanna try it. Out! Btw this is my first child!
And he's a boy, 22 weeks old :)

I wouldn't worry so much about people calling you crazy. It can be hard for some people to understand why someone would choose to feel that kind of pain if they don't have to. If it is someone close to you telling you that your crazy just explain to her or him why you are determined to go natural and that you will need him/her to be supportive. If its someone you are more acquainted with than close to just laugh it off and move on. You don't need to explain yourself to everyone :) Good luck.

Haha thank you. I'm just so glad my oh has my back completly! I cry to him and say " babe whatif I need an epideral?!" And I get hysterical! But he always reassures me that he will support me no matter what1

I think that's awesome! Good for you! I always sorta grew up knowing I'd want a natural birth (a home birth, actually) but I'm not sure I would have had the balls to push for one when I was 16, so I think your plan sounds great. My advice would be to definitely try to arrange your care through a midwife if you can (not sure where you are, it's obviously easier some places than others). Do lots of reading on natural birth (Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and Maggie Howell's Effective Birth Preparation, which is the book that goes with the Natal Hypnotherapy programme, were the most informative and empowering ones I read). Surround yourself with supportive people and make sure that you have a birth partner (your partner, mum, a friend, etc.) who supports you and believes in natural birth too. Hire a doula if you can (you can get one for free even through Doula UK, either through their fund for lower income mums or by finding a mentored doula who is still in training). And learn some breathing and relaxation techniques. Everyone had told me that if I can just stay relaxed and in control of my breath, I'll be fine. I've found yoga classes and natal hypnotherapy has been really great for learning to relax and breathe so far. I've learned lots of things I can do to help me cope. Some of those classes can be expensive, but you can always learn things on your own too, so don't let that put you off. Maybe think about a water birth too if that's something you're comfortable with. If you can find a local natural birth or home birth support group, go to their meetings and introduce yourself. We have one here and it's been an awesome resource for me. They answered so many of my questions and were so encouraging.

At your age your body is so physically ready to give birth. I have seen so many births and younger mums always labour beuatifully! Just get your head in the right space, trust your body and you will be fine, your body is perfectly ready to labour. I'm sure you will have a lovely birth. x

Thanks guys so much :).
I was really planning on having a water birth. But because ima high risk pregnancy (twoblood clots in my lungs). There is only one hospital I can go to that handles my care. I live in Chicago and within a mile of my house there are 3 hospitals! But there is only one ican go to and unfortunatley they do not offer water births :(

If you are going into a hospital I would highly recommend a doula - and because of your age as well. Unfortunately, I think a lot of staff might try to be extra pushy with you/patronizing and it is nice to have a doula to 'stand up for you' in such circumstances and support your wishes & rights in labour. You can do this! :)

Thanks guys so much :).
I was really planning on having a water birth. But because ima high risk pregnancy (twoblood clots in my lungs). There is only one hospital I can go to that handles my care. I live in Chicago and within a mile of my house there are 3 hospitals! But there is only one ican go to and unfortunatley they do not offer water births :(

Hi Hun I was 16 when I had my first and I also had problems with blood clots..... I tried to go natural and the hospital were very supportive. I think good on you girl, I think you are a very brave Hun and I have got my fingers crossed for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->