16 week screening blood test

Marg_27

✿ Proud Mummy of 2 ✿
Reaction score
Im aware this is a sensitive subject, and many of you decided against havin these tests done.
But for those of you that have can I ask what ur results were?
Mine were 1 in 489 for downs, low risk, no further tests.
Any1 else have numbers similar to this?

Also, does any1 kno what the cut off is for needing further tests?

I read somewhere that a chance of more than 1 in 250 is considered 'high risk' and anything below that is low risk - so you're definitely well below the threshhold...

I haven't had the tests yet, they are scheduled for next week. fingers crossed they're ok!

We had the tests done, I can't remember if I was given a number - we were low risk for Downs Syndrome received a letter but I had high AFP levels (Alpho Feto Protein) which required a further scan to rule out congenital defects - it was very nerve wracking but the scan revealed that baby was growing healthily.

Sorry if im being stupid but why would anyone not do these tests?? i just had my first blood drawn for it than i go back in a few weeks and get it again. I know they used to take it through your stomach or something but i got blood from my arm taken.

lexy some people choose not to know...b/c it wouldnt change anything if they did know...and sometimes a false positive can happen. Others know just b/c its routine and want to be prepared .....or some will even terminate if there was a high risk....

It's a simple blood test and it's opptional.

I had mine done and the nurse called and said that it was negative...which is a normal result...:) Didn't get a number.

Ah ok i wasnt sure if it was because they were still doing it the old way or not im in canada so i know a few things are done differently here than in the UK and such.

i have had the test done, mainly so i can be prepared if anything is wrong. my hubby wasn't sure if he wanted to know. we had a chat and decided we'd do it because if we could be prepared i could sort stuff out like taking full entitlement for maternity leave ( am only planning on taking 4-6 months if LO is ok) and ensuring that we have read up on the best care and have found appropriate care for when i do go back to work.
i get my results next week and i am feeling scared. i dont know how i get the results whetehr its a positive/negative or a number or a risk factor.

we had the blood test, 1-8300 , so low risk, we had it done cos if anything was wrong with LO we both decided we wanted to know b4 the birth and be as prepared as we could be
lexy604
i dont think anyone just has these tests lightley, we were talking bout them for mths , also if ur high risk then u have a procedure thro ur tummy to see how high the risk are etc

Heya hun
As I said elsewhere, 1 in 250 is the cut off mark for doing more tests. They would not recommend amnio or CVS if the risk is lower than 250 as the risk is just not worth it.
As you can see here, a lot of people don't get a number (probably because it might cause panic if the number isn't high enough or far enough from 250 for them!!)
So if it's a lower risk than 250, it's low risk and that's the most info a lot of people get.
Your risk is low, so don't worry!

Mine was 1 in 50,000 for Downs. I didn't want it done but my Oh asked me to have it done so atleast he would no before hand.

Thanx every1 for you feedback :)

And thanx again 10thsept, u always say jus the right things x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->