16 weeks pregnant, still BFN

loren1234

Reaction score
Bit of a strange one so bear with me, and thanks for reading :)

I have two children aged 3 and 5. 3 months ago I had unprotected sex after which my period was 1 week late. I tested and got a BFP. I seen my GP but before I booked in with the midwife I started bleeding and then got a BFN so was told I had a chemical pregnancy at 5 weeks. I have had another period since which was lighter and shorter than normal but still quite heavy, definitely more than spotting. I did another test just to check and got another BFN. anyway, fast forward a few weeks and I start feeling pops in my upper stomach which lasted about an hour every evening. They felt like baby hiccups if comparing them to previous pregnancies. This started when I was about 13/14 weeks pregnant. I kept getting the popping feeling every evening for a week then it increased in frequency where i was feeling it several times per day lasting 10 mins to an hour each time so definitely not just gas. This lasted another week. Now I don’t feel the popping sensation but I feel what feels like kicks and a baby moving/rolling around in my lower abdomen. Took another 3 tests and all still BFN. I’m going to see my GP again tomorrow and request a blood test and scan but I’m really sure I could be pregnant. I’ve had no other symptoms other than weight gain which could be down to eating more than I should. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Thank you x

I was told that the blood test isn't really any more sensitive than the urine test.

It's good you're seeing the doctor since you're having all of these feelings though.

I was told that the blood test isn't really any more sensitive than the urine test.

It's good you're seeing the doctor since you're having all of these feelings though.

Thats incorrect. Blood results give a definitive answer.

Op if your tests were positive, then you bled and they went negative, its highly unlikely you are pregnant. Its good that you are getting checked out though as there may be an underlying csuse for your symptoms.

I think it’s good you are getting checked, but it does seem unlikely that you would be pregnant with BFN for that long. If you were 13/14 weeks feeling movement in your upper stomach remember, your uterus is just at th top of your pelvic bone at that point, it doesn’t even reach your belly button until 20weeks, so it’s unlikely that you’d have been feeling it up high at that point if pregnant. Unless you were far more pregnant when you originally tested and got a BFP than you thought your tests wouldn’t have gone negative after the bleeding. The reason some people test and get BFN when pregnant is usually because they are SO pregnant when they first test that they are already getting the hook effect. In those cases you just dilute your pee with water to make the urine test show positive. (That’s usually what happens in these “I didn’t know I was pregnant” shows, the people are already so far along when they use a sensitive urine test it gives a false negative because their high HCG overloads the test strip). A blood test will definitely give a clear answer, and a Dr./OB would be able to do a physical exam and feel your uterus at the point.

If you really think you are 16 weeks pregnant, try diluting your urine with water before dipping a test and see if anything shows. That being said, do that in the mean time while you wait for your Dr. appointment. You should still discuss your concerns with them as well. Good luck

I agree with Elsa50501, following to see what your Dr says.

I know it’s very strange and I keep telling myself that it’s unlikely that I’m pregnant when I keep getting BFN but these are definite baby movements! If it’s not a baby, I have no idea what is going on in there! I’ll post in a few hours once I have seen my GP. Thanks for your replies x

Well I seen my GP and he couldn’t feel my uterus so thats good news (forgot to add we don’t want anymore children) and he thinks it’s IBS but is sending me for a scan just to check x

Glad hes looking into it for you and sending you for a scan. Hopefully you will have some answers soon x

Glad to hear you got checked and that they are looking into everything. I hope you get outcomes that you're at peace with in the end.

I was just about to say sounds like ibs. It gives the same popping and pulsing feeling as early pregnancy movement.

Hope you get sorted soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->