18 days why do my nipples still hurt during a feed?

c.m.c

3 daughters 🌸🌸🌸
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My dd2 is 18 days old. We didn't get off to a great at the start with bf as my latch was terrible and she's not yet back to her birth weight but she's gaining and the midwife seems happy with my latch

Dd has been checked for tongue tie and doesn't have it

For the past few days the feeds were starting to be painless ( like maybe. 50percebt of feeds were) now it's back to killing nipping pain again..... I want breast feeding to work sooooooooooo much and I don't want to give up but when will I start to enjoy this?????

I gave up bf with my dd1 early in as I was re admitted to hospital with a haemorrhage And I never forgave myself for giving up so I can't give up this time I can't but it's hurting so much.... ESP the right side.

The midwife adjusted my position on Tuesday by lifting dd bum up higher so it was same height as my breast and that helped.... I don't think I'm doing anything different now but it's sore

Is this normal ???? Surely after two weeks I shouldn't feel pain Should I????

I'm so sorry you're in pain :(

If it's not the latch, it honestly could be a number of things.

For my son, personally, it was his small mouth. Which I know you're not going to like to hear :( i'm sorry.

If it is a small mouth issue, it will get better as your LO grows.

Also if it hurts, gets better, hurts, gets better...that might also mean that your LO just has a lazy latch. My son had a lazy latch, AND a small mouth...lol

If your LO latches and it's painful, try unlatching gently and trying again.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. Breastfeeding can be very hard sometimes.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it took me until about 10 weeks with DS1 to be pain free. We had so many midwives & feeding supper workers look at our latch & no one could find any issues. We even had him checked for tongue tie but it wasn't serious enough to snip. I think my nipples just toughened up & his mouth got bigger so we got there in the end. Although in the full 6 months I BF him, I'd never leave the house without my Lansinoh as occasionally we'd still have a painful feed.

Lansinoh is a god send. I'm not using it so much now but always have it clise by. My DS is 18 days as well. I have had little pain this last week but it still happens on occasion. Like pp have said, our issues seem to be small mouth and a lazy latch. I just keep adjusting til its comfortable. My DS had a slight tongue tie too which we got snipped and it seems to have helped a little too.

I also express and bottle feed once/twice a day and it means my nipples r getting a wee break which may help. My DS (like my DD) has easily moved between bottle & breast. I know thats not for everyone but i like that DH can do an expressed feed and have some quality time with DS. I hope it settles down for u. Breast feeding is hard going and some days r better than others but i still have moments when i think it would b easier to move to formula but the next day i'm determined to continue breast feeding xx

Id been having the same problem and I was recommended to:
1. Let my nipples dry out. Go topless a while if you can to take away the pressure from bras
2. Stop using disposable plastic backed breast pads because they cause the nipple to sweat and stop healing, put a muslin in your bra as an alternative.
3. Go overnight without a bra, just a muslin

I did that for one day and its SO much better already. I did get milk everywhere overnight but the pain has eased so much in one night that I've stopped taking pain killers to feed. Might not be your problem but worth a try :hugs:

I had sore nipples for a long time maybe 12 weeks. My nipples have now toughened up landinoh was amazing I'd even wake in the night nipples burning. My LO has a small mouth & was lazy feeder.

She's now a pro at feeding & no sore nipples, sometimes it just takes time.

Ladies thank you so much for your replies

I've been using a steroid cream and also Lansinoh too

I called the midwife this morning and she's going to call today just to check for thrush and my latch as I have just finished antibiotics so could be more prone to thrush

I honestly think it's my latch as the left side is ok sometimes

I also express twice a day and dh gives her this I the evening which I'm so glad as need the nipple rest sometimes though I usually express close to that bottle feed to not diminish my supply

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be feeling pain after two weeks .... Everyone u speak to says it should be painless after 2 weeks

I'm determined to stick this out no matter how long it takes

I don't leak that much so I might go bra free tonight in bed and let me nipples get a good 'drying' lol

Thank you so much god your replies it really means so much to get advice

Our babies were born on the same day I just realised! :hugs: you're totally not the only one. I think a lot of people just keep it quiet or give up. We will make it through! :hugs:

And I can't recommend the bra free enough. It really helped I did it again last night and I'm sure now it isn't thrush for me even though it really felt like it!

Our babies were born on the same day I just realised! :hugs: you're totally not the only one. I think a lot of people just keep it quiet or give up. We will make it through! :hugs:

And I can't recommend the bra free enough. It really helped I did it again last night and I'm sure now it isn't thrush for me even though it really felt like it!

Congratulations your little girl is gorgeous!!!

I'm defo going bra free tonight.... It's annoying having to wear the nursing bra all the time! I don't think I have thrush as my left nipple is not bad it's the right that kills me at the minute

We will stick it out!!! Breastfeeding is defo a challenge but you only get one chance as when you stop that's it gone!!!! I'm going to dublin zoo tomorrow so hope I can feed her ok without it killing me!!! My first nurse in public aghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

You know, you say it's really only on one side?

Are your nipples different shapes? Mine are; my right is bigger than my left and the right side is always the side we had the most problems. Just a thought!

Ok so midwife came today And before she came I noticed a lump on the edge of my right nipple and the midwife touched it and it totally hurt me... Midwife said she's not sure what it is it's like a cyst or pimple but at least I know my latch is good and she's sucking is good! She suggested a nipple shield but I think il stick it out without

My left side is only sore for one minute then it's painless do hopefully this wee cyst thing goes away... Kinda strange though isn't it

Is it a milk blister? I got those loads in the first week. It looks like a bubble of milk on the nipple but it's not and it is super painful to touch.

Thanks for the compliment on my little girl :)

Good luck feeding in public! Have you got a cover or a bfing top to wear? I keep working up the courage to do it... then bubs sleeps through the whole time we're out :dohh: :rofl:

It's a bubble but it's the same colour as my nipple...... Strange

I wear a vest top with a jumper or blouse over it so I pull one up and then the vest top hides my belly... Bringing a muslin to just set around me but I'm not local to Dublin so I think il not be as scared as hopefully no one will know me!!!!

That is strange. Could be a milk blister though. Hopefully it will heal up soon:hugs:

Aah better if you don't know the area!

Is it a milk blister? I got those loads in the first week. It looks like a bubble of milk on the nipple but it's not and it is super painful to touch.

Thanks for the compliment on my little girl :)

Good luck feeding in public! Have you got a cover or a bfing top to wear? I keep working up the courage to do it... then bubs sleeps through the whole time we're out :dohh: :rofl:
Same thought! Check this out:
https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back