1st Baby Consultant Led but wanting to use the Birth Centre - Advice please xx

MrsJ08

Reaction score
At my 8 week booking appointment I raised the possibility of having my baby in the birthing centre attached to my local hospital and my MW wasn't very positive about it. I have 2 risk factors, my BMI and the fact that I have (well controlled) Asthma. My care has been consultant led and last week after my second consultant appointment (follow up to my 28 wk scan) I felt really down.

My blood pressure is normal, the baby is bang on the average growth line and I passed my GTT test. Despite these facts my consultant is still really negative towards me rather than encouraging. I haven't gained any weight in my pregnancy and the anaesthetist (who I was forced to see despite insisting I didn't want an epidural) couldn't understand why I had been referred to him. In fact his exact words when I told him I was referred to him for my BMI was "but you are not even big, I wouldn't have a problem administering an anaesthetic to you". My BMI number is high because I'm only 5ft 2 and I'm a dress size 16-18. At my hospital they are reluctant for you to see both the consultant and MW as they see it as duplication of work. My argument is, the Consultant is only interested in my scan results and isn't giving me any supportive care, advice or discussing my birth options with me. I took my DH with me as I wanted reassurance that I wasn't just being hormonal and that she was a bit of a cow. DH agreed and was quite appalled so I complained and insisted on seeing a MW from my team.

The MW I saw yesterday was really positive, she called the birth centre and they told her that because of my BMI I wouldn't be allowed a water birth but providing the Consultant MW agrees I can use one of the rooms without a pool. I'm really pleased about this as the centre is attached via a corridor to the main Labour Ward so if there was a problem at any point I know I will be in safe hands. The birthing centre has four rooms, they are like a "home from home" with active birth equipment like balls, beanbags, birth stools, ropes etc I honestly feel this would suit me much better. I would much prefer to have a natural birth and I definitely want to try not to have an epidural. If I go into the birth centre I will not be allowed an epidural and part of me would prefer that. If it simply isn't an option and I will have to manage the pain and it will be one less thing to think about.

I just wondered whether anyone could offer me any advice? I am meeting with the Consultant MW on the 3rd August and really want to convince her to accept me as a Birthing Centre patient. Apparently, it is entirely at her discretion. How best should I approach her and convince her that this is what I want and the risk of allowing me in there isn't too high?

Thanks for listening
x

isn't it ridiculous? at the end of the day, go in and explain all this to the cons MW. as you know she was VERY supportive of me having a waterbirth. explain your reasoning and ask them to justify theirs. at the end of the day, if you chose to birth at home using all the benefits of that, then they would have to attend so what the hell is the difference? their defence is really knackered to be honest. be assertive, but polite. you are so near to help if you need it - how can they possibly refuse?

good luck. remember - assert yourself!! x

Hi

just be consistent, persistent in a calm manner and do some research beforehand to back yourself up and you really cannot go wrong. Although not all consultants are 'baddies' some really have been conditioned (or self-conditioned) to see birth as a scary medical event and homebirth as dangerous; no matter what your BMI or health issues. The whole BMI system is too heavily relied on and not accurate for all heights and builds, someone who is tall and big boned would be unhealthy at the 'ideal' BMI of 22 for example, I am in the 'obese' category with a BMI of 31 and have been referred to consultant-led care yet most people when asked would say I weigh around 11 stone because I look a lot slimmer than the almost 15 stone I am; and I certainly don't have any weight related health problems; actually I have health problems that underweight people usually have such as too low blood pressure. Aside from my arms (on which the normal adult blood pressure cuff is nearly TOO big) I am genuinely big boned and naturally quite muscular. In my old area my midwives didn't categorise me as high risk at all as they knew me and knew these factors to be the case; but in this area they just want to tick some boxes on the risk assessment form it seems (even though I still don't meet the local criteria for being high risk). I'm annoyed because I get the feeling at some point I am going to have that 'why on earth are you here?' question as well. You stick to your guns dear.

Soph x

Start talking about having a home birth, often they'll offer the mw led unit as a compromise.

Thanks Marley, I hadn't thought of that. I like your thinking, your right that would definitely put the wind up them! x

I can't claim credit - it's been used by a few vbac women on my yahoo group

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->