1st birth v later births and natural birthing?

PhotoGirl

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading of birth stories to try to get aquatinted with what some of the possibilities of how my birth could turn out.:comp:

I've noticed a pattern of many birth stories where the mom had a hard time with her first birth going along with all the interventions, and then for the second chose a more natural birth and loved it. So I'm wondering if the improvement is due in part to second and third births generally just going faster and being easier than the first birth. Anyone who has had a natural first birth want to way in? Or anyone had a first birth naturally and than a medicated birth? I've just noticed that my friends and family have all had a much easier time with the second and third children's births, wether they are having much medical intervention or not.

Hi, my first birth was very quick, 4 hours. I was strapped to monitors, rushed to theatre for a csection due to fetal distress but once in there I needed to push so delivered naturally but with an episiotomy. There was no time for pain relief but I ended up staying in theatre to have my retained placenta removed. The whole thing was horrendous.

Second time my labour was very long, from Wednesday afternoon I had regular strong contractions but didn't give birth until 10.30 am on the fri. It was exhausting but I had a water birth with a little gas and air.

I think although longer the second was easier but I think that was because I knew how bad the pain would get so I was more mentally prepared xx

I haven't had my 2nd yet but yes, this is generally true for most (there are always exceptions).

I think perhaps when it is your first you are so overwhelmed with what labour really is (compared to just what you've read) that you feel more vulnerable to others (ie pushing interventions), you don't rest when you should (because you don't realize how exhausting it will be & too excited), and you don't know what is right for you (I realized after 2 days that squatting was optimal LOL).

And well, ya know the whole hot dog down a hallway comments too... your hips are wider yada yada...

I don't think my 2nd birth was "easier" than my 1st, other than maybe the pushing stage being quicker (25 mins vs 1h 10mins - although it seemed about the same amount of time). The 1st time I was unaware of what was going to happen and felt a bit out of it (may have been the shot of pethadine). The 2nd time I was at home in comfortable surroundings but much more aware of the pain so it seemed way more intense. It wasn't easier but it was quicker (1st 4 hours active labour, 2nd was 2 hours), recovery afterwards was better too.

I've been doing a lot of reading of birth stories to try to get aquatinted with what some of the possibilities of how my birth could turn out.:comp:

I've noticed a pattern of many birth stories where the mom had a hard time with her first birth going along with all the interventions, and then for the second chose a more natural birth and loved it. So I'm wondering if the improvement is due in part to second and third births generally just going faster and being easier than the first birth. Anyone who has had a natural first birth want to way in? Or anyone had a first birth naturally and than a medicated birth? I've just noticed that my friends and family have all had a much easier time with the second and third children's births, wether they are having much medical intervention or not.

i had an awful time 1st time round high pb took all the drugs to get it down nothing worked. contraction started sun had her tues morn (assisted forceps) suction things didnt work 3rd degree tear nearly 4th awful not the worst but wasnt great.
2nd time i new early on i was not going through the same thing again i ignored any negative comment opted for a home birth, started reading hypno birthing and practising very late on in pregnancy.
i didnt get my home birth as there was no midwife available to come out and they failed to pass on i was contracting when i called only that my waters had broken but they didnt beleive me asked me to go in and be examined. i got to hospital at 7.50 went from 5 - 10 cm in approx 20 mins pushed for about 15 - 20 if that n my daughter arrived at 8.44 with an 1half on skin to skin. i used a little gas n air as mw kept telling me to stop pushing as i wasnt ready. thought it would help but i didnt cause i was ready the mw wasnt as it happened so fast. gutted i didnt get my home birth but i was still a better experience, and i came straight home from delivery around midnight xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->