1st Midwife Appointment

MindUtopia

Reaction score
So, I just found out that I'm pregnant today. It came as no surprise because I've felt quite pregnant since last week, but it's nice to see those lines. I haven't even thought yet about what to do after the BFP since I really thought it would take us a lot longer than this, but so now I guess I should call and make my first midwife appointment, right? (I'm in the UK and will be going with NHS for now unless I have a reason not to). My question is, is there a way to start the ball rolling towards home birth now in how I initiate my antenatal care? I know I won't be "approved" for a home birth until much later (but with the exception of a few particular complications, I will be having one, even if I have to refuse to come in).

Is there a certain midwife team I should go for? I noticed that our local hospital has a team, but my village surgery also has a team of community midwives and all their brochures and things that I've seen seem really natural/home birth friendly. So my instinct is to contact them to set up my appointment and not go directly to the hospital team. Is this best? Also, anything I can do at my first appt to stake my claim for home birth, other than the obvious, which is to tell them that's what I plan to have?

Any advice you ladies have would be great. I haven't even thought about this stuff until now.

First of all - HUGE CONGRATS!!!! :happydance: I remember you from the big bad charters gang.

I'm not in the UK so I don't know the NHS stuff, but from the sounds of it the village/community midwives are a better choice. Give them a call, tell them you've had a positive pregnancy test and that you're seeking midwifery care. They'll be able to answer any questions you have about getting "in".

Around here, midwives are in such high demand it's best to call as soon as you get your BFP. When I called the midwifery clinic she asked for basic identifying info (name, address, phone number, date of birth) and then asked the date of my LMP, if my cycles are regular (she figured out my EDD right then), and if I would like a homebirth or a hospital birth. After that she matched me with a pair of midwives (they work in pairs) and booked my first appointment, for 10 weeks.

The UK system will be different I'm sure, but if you just give them a call they'll be able to help you out and answer any questions you have. Or, if they have a website they may have information there about how to request midwifery care.

They popped a note in my maternity notes stating "Home Birth" at my booking in appt. I made it clear at my booking in that I'll be having a home birth should the pregnancy be straight forward. The community midwife team seem pretty pro home birth but still insisted I also see the consultant due to previous pre-term labour (despite having 2 other pregnancies go to 40 weeks and 42+4). I'm preparing for a fight but also quite happy to just not "go in" if I find myself in labour after 37 weeks.

I'd contact your GP surgery and ask to book a booking appointment with the midwives there. There is no reason for you to be cared for by hospital midwives, if you have a community based team :thumbup:

I told them at my booking in appointment I was having a home birth - they won't go in to huge discussions with you about it then, but they will put it down in your notes

xxx

Thanks, ladies! I did actually ask someone with our local home birth group just yesterday, and she pretty much said the same thing. Everything in our area is managed by community midwives unless something else comes up. I have the number for our community midwifes team and I'll give them a call on Monday. I'm just 4 weeks today (I got a strong positive test at 10 dpo), so I don't feel in a huge rush yet to start making appointments since it's such early days. Our local team is supposedly quite supportive of home birth, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

First of all - HUGE CONGRATS!!!! :happydance: I remember you from the big bad charters gang.

Thank you!! Great to see you here too! It seemed things all worked out really well for both of us. We were only on our 2nd month of trying and 2nd month off the pill when we found out I was pregnant, so feeling pretty fortunate right now.

Are you thinking about a home birth as well? I'm originally from the U.S., and several of my friends there have had their births with midwives, many of them home births, and they were really happy with the experience. It's expensive there unfortunately since it's all private. Is it the same in Canada?

Thank you!! Great to see you here too! It seemed things all worked out really well for both of us. We were only on our 2nd month of trying and 2nd month off the pill when we found out I was pregnant, so feeling pretty fortunate right now.

Are you thinking about a home birth as well? I'm originally from the U.S., and several of my friends there have had their births with midwives, many of them home births, and they were really happy with the experience. It's expensive there unfortunately since it's all private. Is it the same in Canada?

We conceived on our 2nd cycle too! I'm planning on a homebirth yes, and feel very strongly about it (as it sounds you do too).

In Canada our healthcare is public and free for all citizens regardless of employment status (single-pay system, paid by the government). Doctors provide whatever care they deem to be best for the patient and then bill the government for it. We never even see a bill or even discuss coverage - unless it's cosmetic surgery of course. So, whether I go with an OB or a midwife, home or hospital it's all completely free. Private insurance (my work benefits) covers things like medications, dental and eye glasses. I think the NHS is very similar.

Edited to add: Midwives in Ontario (my province) became publicly regulated and part of the publicy-funded healthcare system in 1994 but I think there are still some provinces that don't cover midwifery care (and thus, the provincial government doesn't regulate it there either).

Also, maternity leave in all of Canada is a whole year! :happydance:

I actually just got a call from one of the community midwives to let me know they'll be sending me a letter soon with the date/time of when someone will come to my home to start my care. I'm so pleased. I didn't even have to ask to have care at home (I didn't want to be a pain since I know home visits can take more time and resources than an office visit). I'm hoping now I can get most of my appointments at home when possible. Our local team is supposedly quite pro-home birth, so hoping this is a good sign! :happydance:

We conceived on our 2nd cycle too! I'm planning on a homebirth yes, and feel very strongly about it (as it sounds you do too).

In Canada our healthcare is public and free for all citizens regardless of employment status (single-pay system, paid by the government). Doctors provide whatever care they deem to be best for the patient and then bill the government for it. We never even see a bill or even discuss coverage - unless it's cosmetic surgery of course. So, whether I go with an OB or a midwife, home or hospital it's all completely free. Private insurance (my work benefits) covers things like medications, dental and eye glasses. I think the NHS is very similar.

Edited to add: Midwives in Ontario (my province) became publicly regulated and part of the publicy-funded healthcare system in 1994 but I think there are still some provinces that don't cover midwifery care (and thus, the provincial government doesn't regulate it there either).

Also, maternity leave in all of Canada is a whole year! :happydance:

Oh, that sounds excellent! Yep, I've very pro home birth. Several of my close friends have had their babies at home and are either doulas or private home birth midwives in the U.S. so it's just what I've been exposed to. Plus, I don't like hospitals and I know I won't be as relaxed or progress as well in a hospital as at home. And the idea of birth has never scared me. I think it's a beautiful thing and not something to be shied away from just because it might be painful or intense.

That's awesome you got pregnant on your second cycle as well! And you're just a few weeks ahead of us too. Sounds like we have lots in common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->