1st Midwife Appointment

liverpoolbaby

Reaction score
Hi girls :flower:

please can someone explain to me what happens or gets talked about at the first appointment?

Can I talk to her about anything that's troubling me? I.e relationship issues since the baby also?

Just curious what to expect before I go in x

Well, it's been a while since I had my first midwife appointment but from what I remember it's just filling out the main pages of what will become your notes. It's like a green file thing, with name and DOB and various info like that. She will also talk about which hospital you'd like to go to, how to contact her, things like that. So it's mainly all about getting to know her.

Every appointment you need to do a wee sample, so that's done and some even do blood tests. I think I had to go to the hospital for my blood tests as she didn't do them.

You will be fine. Is your partner still going with you? X

Erm mine was family/medical history, where you wish to give birth, urine sample & bloods done, gave paperwork on what can/can't eat etc. think that was it x

Well, it's been a while since I had my first midwife appointment but from what I remember it's just filling out the main pages of what will become your notes. It's like a green file thing, with name and DOB and various info like that. She will also talk about which hospital you'd like to go to, how to contact her, things like that. So it's mainly all about getting to know her.

Every appointment you need to do a wee sample, so that's done and some even do blood tests. I think I had to go to the hospital for my blood tests as she didn't do them.

You will be fine. Is your partner still going with you? X

yeh he's still coming.
she should be ringing me this afternoon with an appointment date and time.
I'm going to ask if I could be seen today as I. busy the next 4weeks and can't get time off .
I'm nervous!!xx

Erm mine was family/medical history, where you wish to give birth, urine sample & bloods done, gave paperwork on what can/can't eat etc. think that was it x

Does she mention what symptoms il experience like stress anxiety?
and too avoid any stress or anything like that?
I want my oh to realise and wake up abut that my hormones have gone AWOL from someone who knows best.
xx

My midwife asked me a bit about how I am feeling, just some standard questions like have you felt down since finding out you are pregnant, which she has to tick boxes for in my file so yours should ask you some questions along those lines, I am sure you could use that as an opportunity to say that you haven't been sad but you have struggled with mood swings/hormones/whatever it is that's troubling you and I am sure she would say that that is to be expected with the changes to your hormones.

They did specifically ask me about my relationship and if I had any worries and also pointed out that a lot of domestic violence may start in pregnancy and where to go for help if needed. My husband was sat next to me and got the wrong end of the stick and said, " Don't worry! She's a bit moody but she's not hit me!".

littlefishygg Thanks this helps a lot. I'm still waiting for my phone to ring for my appointment I'm going to ask to be seen today because I need to be with work commitments.
I'm excited but nervous I think me and my oh should calm down after seeing her.

pinkcat :rofl: My oh would 100% believe her if she said that they way my mood swings have been :dohh:
I hope she doesn't mention it!! that'll be another worry on his shoulder haha

x

Like the other ladies said, just filling out a bit of your notes booklet, urine sample etc...my MW weighed me with my previous pregnancy, she also asked about my partner etc and if baby was a planned pregnancy...what sort of birth I was looking for, basically just chatting and getting to know her a bit.

Good luck hope all goes well :)

Like the other ladies said, just filling out a bit of your notes booklet, urine sample etc...my MW weighed me with my previous pregnancy, she also asked about my partner etc and if baby was a planned pregnancy...what sort of birth I was looking for, basically just chatting and getting to know her a bit.

Good luck hope all goes well :)

it's going to smack me in the face when I see her, I don't think it has 100% sunk in yet! I'm getting a little excited now!! :flower:

First midwife appointments are so exciting it makes it feel more real :)

Mine ask family medical history for both sides (mine and OHs) urine sample and BP, might weigh aswell as I'm not going to be referred through doctor this time. They also ask about smoking/ drug use/ alcohol use of you and oh. They ask if they have any other children and if they've ever been involved with social services, Criminal history and whether they are supportive/ abusive in any way - questions you might not expect.

Midwives aren't really there to be therapists but most of them would be happy to talk if you needed to.

Thank you for the support and advice Girls you have ALL been very helpful :flower:

It is my Birthday today and I cant even go out or have a drink I wasn't expecting this to happen haha! :dohh:

The Midwife called me yesterday!!

I haven't been booked in for an appointment..

It must be different at every surgery.
At mine they don't do bloods they go off urine tests and said if I have had a positive home pregnancy test and no period then the chances are I am pregnant.. which I already gathered it was more for my partners peace of mind.

I wont be seen by her until I am around 16wks for check ups.
Until then she has referred me to the hospital I chose Liverpool Womens and I should be expecting an appointment in the post for my 8/10wk first check up and 12wks for my scan.

She also told me about the foods to avoid and eat and the obvious stop the drink and smoking if I do, which I don't. Also to get folic acid and vit D tablets.

That's pretty much it really :coffee:

How is everyone else?

xx

Glad it all went well for you :)

I've not heard of the midwife not seeing people until 16 weeks before, will it be a midwife you see at the hospital?

I am great thank you. I hope things are ok with you xx

Glad it all went well for you :)

I've not heard of the midwife not seeing people until 16 weeks before, will it be a midwife you see at the hospital?

I am great thank you. I hope things are ok with you xx

That's my GP midwife, but I think I will be based at the hospital now, saves all the running back and forth.

I have never felt so tired constantly!! wow!!

Every morning for 2 weeks now I am awake before 7am!! and feeling sicky but not. I am normally a late waker upper! :shrug:

I think the more the days go by the more symptom's I am getting.

How do you feel up to now?

Im off my food completely but When it is dinner time I clear the plate(s):blush:

x

I'm ok, tired and sore bbs but my appetites the opposite, I cannot stop eating!!! I need to control myself :haha:

I'm ok, tired and sore bbs but my appetites the opposite, I cannot stop eating!!! I need to control myself :haha:

Hahaha!!

We all went out for a meal yday with the family... No1 knows btw...

Well I couldn't order seafood which I always do and love because the midwife on the food said avoid!

So then I couldn't have my starter or main with seafood .. I was gutted.. I couldn't eat the main (a different choice) because it was making me sick.. then the waiter comes over with a bottle of Prosseco for my Birthday :dohh:

I took the tinyest pretend sip and went ewwww!! Im not a fan of prosecco here mum have mine . :lol:

Haha that is funny. I am so missing my wine right now :(

Usually have a glass on a Friday evening, apple juice it is ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->