1st preterm labor now preeclampsia!

jojosmami

Mommy to 3!
Reaction score
Hi ladies, well, I know I posted a bit ago about a scare with my fluid leaking and my mucus plug starting to dissolve. Well, the good news, membranes still in tack, and baby is still warm inside. But, now, I went to the High Risk Dr to get a scan and they said he's 2.9lbs and growing great, but they are really worried about my Blood Pressure. I had preeclampsia with my 1st pregnancy and been having some symptoms I was trying to ignore. I have been taking my Blood pressure 3x a day since Thursday and its not looking good. ITs been in the high 150/90's with one of the readings 168/98 yesterday. Trying to stay positive because my hands and feet aren't too swollen yet. Going to see my reg OBGYN on Thursday to check for protein in my urine and see what he wants to do. I am really hoping I can hold off having to be induced at least till 34 wks. But, being 29 wks now and seeing all of your stories I know that if it comes down to it it would be a long hard road but we could do it! So, my question to the mommies who had to go early for their Blood pressure, what were your readings like and when or why did your Dr finally decide it was better to take the baby. Its been 6 yrs since this happened with my son so don't know if things have changed any. Thanks!

Hey,

Although my preterm birth was due to preeclampsia I dont know that my info will be much used to you as situation slightly different. I didnt know I had preeclampsia as I had no symptoms (although looking back now there were some very 'mild' ones), I went to my doc for something else, my protein was off the scale and my bp high. Was taken to the hosp and my reading was 255/180, IV labetalol and nifedipine didnt lower it any so after about 4 hours when my kidneys started packing in they decided to deliver LO and I had an emergency section.

In general though I think they try and keep baby cooking for as long as poss but once it becomes detrimental to your and/or babies health and baby is better off out than in, then they will deliver. Some of the other girls have more experience though.

Hope your wee baby stays in as long as possible, but should it be born early then we are all here to support you. xx

I had a similar situation as Princess Pea. I went to the hospital for something else and then when they took my blood pressure it was 164/114, protein was +8 (hands, feet, and face extremely swollen) and the immediately put me on a Magnesium drip (i had SEVERE Pre-eclampsia) and my perinatologist told me that I would not be leaving the hospital until I delivered the baby. My blood pressure was lowered and I was hopeful that I would be able to keep the baby "in" for at least 2 more weeks, however after 48 hours, my amniotic fluid started to decrease and lo's heartrate started to slow, so at 29w 5days, they did an emergency c-section.

Prayers that you will be able to keep your LO in as long as possible.

My blood pressure never really got that high. They decided to take him early bc ultrasounds showed he had quit growing at 30 weeks, and I had tons of protein in my urine and blood tests showed my liver enzymes were bad. My doc and the high risk doc both agreed I was about to take a turn for the worse, and that the baby would be better off out of me than in. After my section, they told me my placenta was one of the worst they'd ever seen, so it was a good call in taking him early.

I have a friend who had super high BP her entire pregnancy but never had protein in her urine, so they didn't diagnose it as pre-e, they just put her on blood pressure medicine and she was able to wait til 37 weeks before they decided to take her baby.

I had pre eclampsia but didn't know - it was just when I had my 25 week check up with the midwife that she discovered my bp was high and it got higher and higher over the next few days and then they found a trace of protein in my urine which then became +++ a few days later.

They were hoping to get me to 30 weeks and scanned me every day, and did BP checks and blood tests every day. I was admitted overnight twice and then transferred up to a bigger hospital where I was admitted at 26+5 and scanned again.

The protein was increasing and I was on nifedipine and labetalol for the BP but they weren't really bringing it down at all and on the morning I reached 27 weeks they said my BP was through the roof but they didn't say what it was. I had a horrendous headache by this point and my fingers were really swollen - I couldn't even bend them or wear my wedding and engagement rings which are normally quite loose.

They scanned me again and monitored the baby's heartbeat all morning and they said that things weren't looking too good for either of us by this point. I was one hour from organ failure so they decided to do an emergency section.

They were basically just monitoring both of us all the time and trying to keep Sophie in as long as they could before it became dangerous for either one of us, at which point she would be better off outside me than inside.

Fingers crossed your LO can stay in a while yet but we're all here for you if you do have to give birth early.

xxxxxx

Thanks ladies for the kind words and sharing your story. I'm so nervous. Before when the dr's were checking for protein there was none and on Fri when I went there was a trace. I hadn't really had any swelling yet just the headaches. Well, yesterday I felt horrible and had another headache, but now the swelling is coming on and my bp this morning was 137/104.Also, I'm allergic to Labatelol (that's what they put me on when I had preeclampsia with my DS) I'm gonna try and relax today and see what happens. I've been checking my bp with an electronic machine and its always a bit higher here than at the Dr. I'm so nervous about them putting me in the hospital because I have 2 other little kids that I stay home with during the day and have no one to care for them! This is so stressful which cant be good for my bp! I'll keep you ladies updated and thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->