1st time mum birth plan- water birth - does it make sence?

Mirrie

Stepmum to 3 & Mummy 2Eli
Reaction score
My birth plan- does it sound realistic- does it make sence???? Thoughts and ideas welcome because I'm not sure of the timings etc... PS planning for a water birth..

1st time mum here!! Thanks :flower:

"This is what is most important to me- once the baby has been born, If breathing and well I would like him placed directly onto my chest (skin on skin- without being washed or the cord being cut) and would like the cord to stop pulsating before being cut. (Matt may want to cut the cord- please ask him) At this time I would like the time for the baby to try and self attach. If unsuccessful I would be happy for the baby to then be washed and weighed and for breastfeeding to begin after this.

I would like to try to deliver the placenta naturally at first but if after ½ hour I would accept the injection to speed up this last stage."

Yes it makes sense.

Only thing I would say is that most babies however they are born/delivered are not washed as such, just gentley rubbed dry. Their skin is a little delicate for a wash. Plus who would want to get rid of that wonderful new born baby smell! ;-)
XXx

On the subject of waterbirths, what do you wear in the pool? Stupid question, I know! :blush:

I went for the freedom of being naked. Didn't want a clingy wet t-shirt, and didn't feel as though I needed the support of a bikini top on my boobs. (I know some women who are really big chested like to have some support) But for me it was better for skin to skin and labour is physical, so I also think I would have got too hot! Of course you can whip off anything you have on at the time.

What do you think you would like to wear? Try it out in the bath, just make sure you are comfortable.
XxX

i wore a bikini top and swim skirt when in the pool in labor with ds1 and was wearing when he was born ( not in the pool ) lol i just wanted the modesty lol with ds2 i was wearing a nightshirt that was long enough to go just past my bum but he was a "land" birth

I'd personally prefer to wear a loose t-shirt to protect my modesty. :blush: However, I am sure it can easily be removed if necessary. :thumbup:

It does make sense - to me anyway! Have you shown it to your OH/birth partner/MW? That's who it has to make sense to :)

Do you have any feelings on Vit K, or catching your own baby, or finding out the sex yourself? If so, these are good things to include.... you can't go back and redo these moments and in the heat of the moment you may not have chance to say!

I might also include a couple of lines like: "In the event of a transfer to hospital, no artificial teats or supplements to be given." It sort of depends on the hospital you would go to and what their policies are etc.... I know some women have included that they want their baby to stay with them at all times and if they are not awake/not conscious that the baby must stay with FOB at all times.... Either because they don't fully trust that hosp ( :( ) or because they feel strongly that the baby is probably stressed enough being born and should at least stay with someone familiar....

I was very lucky with my birth in that the mws didnt touch me or my baby, they didn't tell me what to do (push, breathe etc) and they didn't anounce the sex. I was lucky because i hadnt shown them my plan and they just did these things anyway. OTOH, one of them did pinch her foot to make her breathe - unnecessary as the cord was still pulsing! And one of them did hold my baby while i was being sick and dressed her when i needed to transfer... id have rather my mum had done this, because as it was my mum (although present at the birth) didnt hold my baby until she was 3 days old! :( Just small niggles, but if I had shown them my plan they would have at least known I didn't want these things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->