2 month old- suddenly only drinking from one side

Hope83

Me, DH, DS & DD :)
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

Just checking, if this is normal and nothing to worry about:
My little girl has always used both breast up until now ( so did my son back then). She has been gaining 1 ounce/ day, poops at least once per day, is happy and content when awake and sleeps like a bf baby sleeps.
However for a few days now, she has been changing patterns and only seems to nurse from one breast at a time. Everything else is the same ( dirty diapers, sleep, behaviour). Is that normal?
My breast dont feel or seem bigger than before. How can she be satisfied with one side only all of the sudden?
The only thing that has changed for me, is that I stopped counting calories over the holidays. Is it possible that a higher calorie intake equals more milk so drastically?
I'm just worried that this feeding behaviour could have a negativ impact on my supply. Also I was planning on lowering my calorie intake again once we hit the new year.
Sorry if this is long and doesn't make much sense.
I just want to make sure I'm not messing things up... :shrug:

TIA :flower:

Totally normal. My son would SCREAM bloody murder if I tried to give him the left breast...then it became his favorite breast...then he shunned it again...then back to his favorite...etc etc. My breasts have completely different flows I've noticed (left is heavier/strong flow, right is a more gentle flow). He'll usually prefer the left breast when he's hitting a growth spurt because it's more milk faster. Now he mainly prefers the right breast but he'll drink from both.

So are you saying she's only taking one side per feed? If this is the case, my DD did the same thing, went from having both most feeds to only one. I believe they get more efficient at nursing over time which may have something to do with it.

I generally take my cues from my daughter though and so long as she's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and doesn't seem out of sorts I let her get on with it and she's doing fine.

So are you saying she's only taking one side per feed? If this is the case, my DD did the same thing, went from having both most feeds to only one. I believe they get more efficient at nursing over time which may have something to do with it.

I generally take my cues from my daughter though and so long as she's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and doesn't seem out of sorts I let her get on with it and she's doing fine.

Yes she went from taking both sides per feed to one side per feed.
I am too taking my babies lead but I dont quiete understand how they need less milk when they get older instaed of needing more milk :shrug:

I believe they are able to get the milk more efficiently and so they're not getting less. It takes less time to get the same amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->