2 questions.. Empty boobs

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi :flower:

My LO usually cluster feeds from around 4pm until around 9pm. But by around 8 she'll start fussing and pulling off the breast, making frustrated noises, then diving back onto the breast! Then gets frustrated again, moving her head around then pulling off again. She will do this on both sides. She seems to get very frustrated and my boobs feel very soft so I'm wondering could this mean I've ran out of milk? She then sleeps for around 4 hours.
Is there any way to make more milk around this time for her, I feel so awful thinking I've ran out and can not satisfy her.

Second question..

I have mastitis right now which I've been told to try and get rid of by making sure each breast is empty before offering the other one but I'm not sure how to tell when the breast is empty? My LO pulls off sometimes but then launches herself back on..

give it a squeeze, i usually use the heel of my hand and start near my armpit pressing and sliding toward my nipple. if there is still milk it will definitely come out.

Your boobs never really get empty, your body keeps producing more. It's like tears, they don't run out. I never swap boobs so I can't help, I do all my feeds on one side only. I doubt you are short of milk if she is sleeping for 4 hours, she wouldn't sleep if she was hungry, I would guess at being tired and fussy x

My boy does the same thing sometimes while feeding but I've come to realize it's not from lack of milk in the breast, it's because he's got gas or is trying to poop! :blush::haha:
And I agree with Irish_Cob, I don't think your breasts are ever truly "empty". Your breasts get soft once your body adjusts to breastfeeding and your babies requirements.

Hope this helps! :flower:

My DD does this when she is gassy or tired. If winding doesn't help I will give her a dummy and rock her to sleep.

I guess to drain your breast just feed until it is at its softest, as pp said it is never truly empty but I guess if you can get rid of most of what is stored that will do the job!

My DS often does this when he has wind too or when he is too full! Personally I take him off the breast and if necessary, hand him to someone else so he doesn't want to keep feeding. I've missed this Q a few times and ended up with spit up everywhere!

My daughter does this she will go off and on the nipples and gets really rough and frustrated. Iv been giving her a dummy and she then falls straight asleep. I *think* she likes to comfort suck but is full up so gets annoyed when milk keeps coming out. Could be totally different for your baby though

Sounds like wind to me, too. You certainly won't have run out of milk-your body doesn't work that way. Do you have a sling you could pop her in when she starts fussing and walk her around? Best way to get wind up in my experience! Also, try winding her every time she pops off. That'll save it getting worse as the feed goes on. You're doing great. This is a technique that needs figuring out, not a physical problem with baby or your supply x

My baby does the same as catty's! Also overtiredness can cause this fussy behaviour and if baby is cluster feeding (and possibly car napping?) between 4 and 9, I would think it's possibly overtiredness/evening fussiness. I wouldn't think it was your milk supply :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->