2 week old only feeding for a few minutes

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
My dd seems to only nurse for 5 mins or so at a time. At night she wakes ever 2-3hrs but will only feed for a few mins even with nappy change and stripping her down. Today, rather than any long nursing sessions she has been on for a few mins off for maybe half hour. Is this normal?

Mine have always had very short feeds. Jacob feeds for maybe 10 mins, max 15mins, sometimes just 5 mins! and usually feeds every 2 hours in the day and 3-4 at night. My older two boys were exactly like this too. Jacob is a right chunky one so I am certain he is getting enough from doing that, I think when they are really tiny they sometimes like to feed little and often. xx

You can try breast compressions. How is her weight gain and dirty diaper output? Some babies just don't take that long at the breast!

I was just about to post a similar question. My son is 10 days old and as of yesterday is only feeding for 15 minutes on one breast every 2-3 hours. Previously he was taking each breast for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours. Maybe they need less time on the breast after the milk comes in better? I dont know. I am glad to see it is not just my baby.

how are the diapers/

my son never nursed more than 5 minutes, he was just an efficient feeder, he was fine.

She seems to be pooing ok and having wet nappies. I'll get her weighed next week so I guess that'll be a good indicator.

Mine fed for around 8 minutes because of overactive letdown, he fed little and often, if you can get her to feed for longer, it will help in the long run, I think the frequent feeding kept my supply up which meant he was unwilling to feed more at each feed. When I went in to see the lc, she burped him every 5 minutes, we ended up feeding the whole session, and then he slept the whole afternoon, I thought we finally cracked it, then we returned to form and the next two to three months were just miserable for us.

If wet nappies, and weight gain is ok then sounds like an efficient feeder.

I've got one and it's great!! My friend has a not so efficient feeder and one feed takes 1-2hours :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->