20w scan today! yey

I can't believe they didn't tell you sooner about the strep B!

Glad all looks good with the baby. They can be in funny positions can't they? I remember dd1 being on her stomach on my 20 week scan and refusing to cooperate.

Hopefully you'll still have a shot at your water birth. :flower:

Glad it went well and boo hiss to the strep B. Is there anything you can do to try and get rid of it? Xx

Aww sucks about strep b Hun. I tested positive for strep b early in my last pregnancy and gad ro be hooked up with an iv antibiotics during labour. It wasn't so bad really but might not let you home birth now id say :( *hugs*
my only other suggestion is that you ask them to swab you again at 36 weeks to see if its still present and if they don't pick it up then its likely you wont gave it during labour as it comes and goes but once you have it you test positive for weeks, and will always be a carrier. It depends what you want to do at tbe end of the day.

i am nervous this time as they have told me i wont be treated as strep b positive this time even though i was in my last preg(and now i am obviously a carrier) i haven't argued yet but i am going to ask to be swabbed later in my pregnancy to rule it out, and i would also prefer to have the antibiotics as a precaution. If i end up delivering a baby who catches step b and they refused to give me antibiotics i will go absoloutely mental because the risks can be quite severe.

glad baby looked ok otherwise xx

Sorry to hear about the strep B but I'm glad your scan went well!! I hope you still get to have your home birth.

Here comes the not so good news and very unexpected. Turns out i tested positive to strep b on 6th may and no one has informed me.
So my hopes for home birth looking very unlikely (cant even just have water birth at hosp!) im feeling upset, need to have good chat with my midwife on the 8th july.

x

Sorry things didn't turn out as expected but there is no need to be upset as you still have plenty of time. You definitely have the option to request a retest later in pregnancy. I'm not sure where a previous poster got their info from, but the fact is all women carry the strep b bacteria. The bacteria just lies dormant and doesn't cause any problems. It's when it becomes active that you will test positive and are recommended to receive antibiotics during labor to protect the baby from possible risks. Even then some women decline. There are also remedies out there that claim to rid the infection so you wont test positive. It's really up to the individual and what they believe. I just wouldn't count yourself out of a water birth until closer to date. It's very common for results to change. And for future reference testing positive for one doesn't mean you will test positive in every pregnancy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->