20wk scan..possible cyst found??

Kerriex

Reaction score
Hi I wasn't sure where to post this,

I had my 20 week scan today where I was told everything was healthy except the sonographer found what she thinks is possibly a cyst. To explain abit better here's what she reported in my notes

'On the right side of the fetal body above the bowel there appears to be a simple cyst of uniform shape measuring 8x7x7mm, no colour flow within the structure. It appears to be below the umbilical vein, to the right and indents into the fetal bowel however appears to be seperate from the bowel.'

So I have been referred to fetal medicine for another scan tomorrow where I will hopefully know more so until then I was just wondering if anybody had experienced anything similar and what was the outcome?

I have been told its most probably harmless and could disappear on its own but its hard not to worry, especially when I can see it on my scan picture

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice :)

It's totally normal for the ovaries to develop cysts in pregnancy. Yours sounds very small! I was just going through old records the other day and I had a pretty big one at one of the early scans (maybe 10 weeks) that they didn't even tell me about. They are probably rescanning just to make sure it's an ovarian cyst and not something other. Don't be worried. Just be yay you get to see baby again!

I've had one throughout the pregnancy as well, I had it before I got pregnant and then got the normal corpus luteum cyst on the same ovary.. they've just checked it during the ultrasounds to make sure it wasn't growing much and don't pay much attention to it beyond that. The simple cysts are just filled with fluid, they told me that, unless they grow huge, they usually resolve themselves.

I have one it isn't attached but next to my ovary and its been there for years. Just a simple cyst. Hasnt caused me any problems apart from it was leaking a bit at the beginning of my pregnancy which caused a bit of irritation. Don't worry im sure all is fine. Good luck with your scan x

Do u mean on the baby rather than you? It's def normal on women and sounds like it's something that will probably resolve as bub develops if on baby..hope the scan goes well and least u get more looks at your little baby!xx

Sorry I wasn't very clear, the 'cyst' is in the babys abdomen indented into her bowel.
I have been told today that although they can't be 100% sure what it is, they believe it is a cyst and may disappear on its own but will be checked again in 8 weeks to see if there is any change. If it doesn't go on its own they will refer us to the paediactric surgeons to discuss it further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->