24wkr who is now 5yrs old!

lizziedripping

Reaction score
I do hope this is ok, but in light of last nights programme on channel 4 showing the plight of a 23wker, I thought I'd share my experience with you all in the hope it would offer inspiration and hope to all you preemie mums, particularly those with an extremely prem baby (born before 27wks).

My little girl was born at 24wks exactly weighing 1Ib 7ozs. THe journey was horrendous, and last night's programme and Izzy, brought it all back to me :cry: Evie was ventilated for 6wks, had a heart op at 2wks old and was only allowed home after 18wks on oxygen plumbed into our house. The heartache and pain was indescribable, and we never knew from one day to the next if she would make it, and if she did what problems she might have.

Docs and nurses never committed to giving us any positive news, because frankly they didn't know how she would turn out. Well - look at her now!

She is healthy, happy and is left with a short-sighted left eye - something which will be corrected with a contact lense when she's older.

All you mums facing the fear and terror of the NICU journey, don't give up hope. Although I know we were extremely lucky to come thru, it can happen despite what the "experts" say. When we were making our relentless daily visits to the hospital, I desperately needed to hear success stories - I sincerely hope ours offers some solace and comfort to you all :hugs:

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 194.JPG
    194.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 16
:D :D I love these stories! Love love LOVE it!

I was a prem too (29 weeks) and I don't know much about my NICU stay. That was 24 years ago now!

You are right about those looking to hear 'success stories'. The first minute I had I was googling and smashing my heart into pieces doing so. People only write about the negative and rarely the positive!

Thanks lizziedripping xxxxxxxxxx :hugs: Well done mummy!

Its always nice to hear a success story! Its amazing to see her pictures and think that she was a preemie!
It fills us all with lots of hope for the future xx

Thankyou for sharing your story its great to hear happy endings xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back