27 weeks and have gained 20 pounds

Erika_Whitney

Reaction score
So my first trimester I only gained about 2 pounds, I was so sick in the begining that made eating impossible. My second has been a different story- I'm no longer nauseous all day so I have been able to eat what I want. I have gained 20 pounds already! :( I know how to eat right/exercise, I have just taken advantage of being able to eat and haven't been working out like I was before getting pregnant. I don't want to gain too much- is there anyway to ensure that my baby still grows as she should without gaining another 20 pounds?? I guess what I mean is there anyone who gained a lot in their second and only gained a few in their third trimester? I'm not so concerned that I'm gaining a lot of weight- more like of how fast and I worry about it for health reasons. Any advice would be appreciated!

I gained 20 total. Stop "taking advantage" of eating and focus on eating healthfully.

You should only be eating an extra 300 healthy calories on top of your daily allowance. Baby doesn't really start packing on the pounds until third trimester. Try not to give in to temptation because once your beautiful arrival shows up I'm sure you would want to spend some quality time with them and not have to think about loosing the mama pouch right away. And btw people gain weight at different rates. 25-30lbs is considered normal. Just putting it out there, it's not a competition for who's gained the least. Do what you feel is best. X

You'll probably stop gaining towards the end - but even if you don't if you gain the recommended 1lb a week from now on you'll end up at 33lbs up which is within the recommended guidelines.

So now is the time to tighten up - cut out the snacks, get walking everywhere and stick to regular portions. If you've overeaten in the last few weeks any excess you are carrying will ensure baby grows just fine.

In fact even if you haven't the baby will always take what it needs - it will be you that goes without... so basically stop thinking you are feeding the baby - you are feeding you!!

xx

I had put on 15lb by around 30 weeks. I'm 35 weeks now and it seems to have stopped at 17lb... I've had a real hunger all the way through pregnancy. I have a very fast metabolism usually so I'm guessing my body has just really needed the extra fuel as I haven't been able to stop eating!
Just make sure you're eating the right things and not too much crap and you'll be fine :)

A lot of it depends on your starting weight. I can reassure you that I also didn't gain much in first tri due to MS (and living overseas where I didn't have access to a lot of the food I craved), and then I really packed on the lbs in second tri. It has slowed in third though. I'm at 35+2 and I've gained 35 lbs total, but I started off underweight. My midwife specifically told me to aim for 40lbs gained, and I should end up right about there. It's a bit disconcerting to see the numbers go up on the scale, but they're supposed to!

BUT, in any case, don't beat yourself up about giving in to some cravings and temptations. As long as you're also choosing healthy foods, I think it's completely fine. And you can't always control the weight gain as specifically as you'd like - my SIL gained over 50lbs with her first, and she's fairly active and health conscious, and is also a doctor...she was frustrated because she couldn't control the gain like she wanted and her body was holding onto fat and calories...but she started to realize that her body was doing what it needed to for the benefit of the baby, whether she skipped an ice cream or not! And she had a great labour and lost the weight after with no problems.

Some people will try to advise you what you should eat, do, gain, etc. based on themselves...I say just focus on eating *mainly* healthy foods and not stressing too much about the scale. Trust your body! :hugs:

I've gained 13lbs at 28 weeks. I've either dropped 2lbs in a few days or it's just because I've weighed myself earlier on in the day. It's not too late to do something about your weight gain, just watch what you eat and don't over do it. I don't see a problem unless you're devouring a whole cake everyday. I had to gain 27lbs to put me bang on in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height so I'm enjoying my treats. Good luck. X

I'm 23 weeks and have gained over 30 lbs. I limit carbs and eat lots of veggies, and still my weight gain seems out of control. I'm a little discouraged to be honest, because i was so careful this past month and still i somehow managed to gain 7 lbs. BUT with my daughter i gained 45 pounds yet she only weighed 7 lbs and i didn't suffer from GD or high blood pressure. Even now, my bp is at about 104/56. For some reason, my body seems to hold onto calories. Even when I'm not pregnant, i have to practically starve myself and work out like a mad woman to stay on the thin side. Anyway i will continue to watch my diet but i don't feel very motivated since all of my efforts seem to be in vain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->