28 weeks but measuring 33!! But freaked out

Pug2012

Reaction score
Had my midwife appointment today and when she measured my bump it's measuring 5 weeks ahead and was off the scale on the chart!!

I'm booking in for a GD glucose tolerance test and a growth scan.

My first baby was 8lbs 8oz so I'm was expecting a similar size, maybe I should expect a somewhat larger baby?

I don't seen to have any diabetes symptoms other than being thirsty but I was thirsty with 1st baby too.

Just worrying so wondered if anyone else is going thru the same thing or has any advice?

Thank you.

Do you go to a clinic? I find every doctor or midwife measures differently. I go to a low risk clinic.I have measured from right on to 3 to 4cms larger then where I should be back to bring right on. Obviously it's not an exact science and different people measure differently... I had to do an extra u/s just to find out my little guy is measuring right on. No GD here either. Definitely get it checked but know we all grow differently and does not necessarily mean you are going to have a giant baby :) good luck.

I always measured 4 weeks ahead. Had ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks as a result. By their measurements she was coming out to be a week ahead. Estimated 9-10lbs at birth. She came out as 8lbs 7oz at 39+5

Measurements mean not a lot hun last pregnancy I measured spot on every time never above or anything in fact one week behind sometimes harry weighed 11lb 5oz !
This baby I'm measuring spot on and we have had a growth scan she's 7lb ish and due on Tuesday harry was bigger due to his disabilitys but it shows the measurements arent accurate at all growth scans are much better don't panic hun
And honestly harry was born naturally he got a bit stuck the waters went round his head so had to have them broken but after that he moved down and came out no problems in fact midwife said some bigger babies are easier to give birth to :)

Same as above - I wouldn't worry too much about fundal measurements. I was measuring 5 weeks behind most of my pregnancy but growth scans showed that all was fine and baby was measuring an estimated 7lbs two weeks before due date so chances are he's going to be a big boy if anything! Especially as I am now overdue too.

Had my last midwife appointment on 30th Dec when I was 27+5 - measured 30 weeks. Got to go back next Tuesday and if still measuring ahead will be sent for growth scan. But on Sunday I had a private 4d scan and bubs measured bang on average. So dont worry too much, could just be the way baby is lying, how much waters you have, midwife said that its very common for women to measure ahead when bump is measured but baby is born an average size.

I had exactly the same with my ds. Measured 5 weeks ahead at the most I think. I went for growth scan and gd test at 32 weeks and no gd but I did have too much amniotic fluid. He measured average for gestation. I went to 39+3 in the end had loads of fluid when my waters went but they never found a reason for it. They did say he might be big, but he ended up 8lb9oz so not overly large!

Thank you so much everyone. I could give each of you a hug. I certainly feel much more reassured.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Xxx

I've decided to try not to worry and just take each test as it comes. My first baby was fine with an easy birth so I'm going to assume this pregnancy will end the same.

I am measuring 4 weeks a head and having regular growth scans...

Baby is currently estimated to weigh 11lbs..

Although I had to have a scan yesterday after going in hospital due to reduced movements and a different lady did the the scan and he was`nt growing at the same rate .. I think these growth scans and tape measure predictions are so unpredictable ... and will be different depending on who takes the measurements.

Another hopefully reassuring perspective for you here! Last week bump was measuring at 32 weeks when I was 36+1. Was sent for a growth scan, all looked fine with baby and he was measuring 36+4 on scans so no concerns.

Went to the midwife yday, exactly a week later bump was measuring 35+weeks :haha: so baby has either had a massive growth spurt within a week or was just lying in a funny position last week!

I'll agree with all the other posters, measuring fundal height isn't an exact science and it varies wildly between different women and health professionals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->