28 weeks with mild cramping-being kept in hospital and given steriods-is cramping ok?

A1983

Reaction score
Been cramping today mildly so in hospital now- been admitted for 24-48 hours so can have steriods for baby's lungs just in case as a test they've done showed slightly positive for something which is released in labour (but can get false positives so they're saying it's only very slightly-and in full positives only 50% of women DO go on to labour) plus some activity on monitor but they think I should be ok-just being careful as results not 100% that im ok and wont labour. Baby moving lots and cervix long and closed. My worry-the on&off period type mild cramping-have you had this this late on? It's worse when im tensing and worrying so trying to relax.

I haven't got any experience sorry - I've barely even had BH I don't think.

Just want to say, hope it's nothing to worry about and you're home soon bump intact! :flower:

I had this for 13 weeks with my daughter. Every time I went for a BPP, the nurses sent me to L&D because they were convinced I was in labor. I had contractions that were as frequent as 2-3 min apart the whole 3rd trimester. Did the same as you, admitted at 29 weeks for the steroids, but she stayed in on her own and is now potty training :) Just wanted to give you some encouragement since I know I was really worried at the time.

Thank you atay xxx im so scared! Baby crying in the next room. Cramping still...just don't know why im cramping if not labour? Going to be put on monitor in half hour again

I have been cramping for the last few weeks. My Dr told me that any cervical changes will cause it. You're not dilated yet so maybe it's just getting ready. I have been 3cm since at least 35 weeks but have had 2 checks since then and no change (still 3cm, 50% thinned out). Just take it easy and please don't be scared xoxo :hugs:

I've had cramping, sometimes quite painful, for the past 3 weeks. I also has a postive FFN test (which is the test you are desribing in your post). My OB never sent me to the hospital tho. He just told me to take it easy and not do anything ( like lifting or walking around too much) and is seeing me once a week right now. He told me that the cramping wasn't contractions and that I'd know if I was having a contraction. I don't know how since this is my first baby,but oh well. He did say that a contraction would involve my entire uterus and not just the lower part, which is where the cramping is. (feels just like period pain) He was going to check me for dialation this past week when I went in, but didn't, so I have no idea about that...I just know that the cramping is almost constant and gets painful at times. I hope he checks me next week. Seems like your doctor is more on top of things than mine. Good luck.

I also want to reassure you a little.

I have been cramping for weeks now, probably since 26 weeks or so. I am 31w5d now. Doc checked me when I first told her and said my cervix was no where near labor. The cramping hasn't subsided or gotten any worse, it's the exact same. I think its just preparing itself, or thats what I like to tell myself.

I also believe if the cramping was an indication of preterm labor it would of progressed and something would've happened weeks ago.

I just think some of us have sensitive parts.

Been cramping since your stage... Quite bad period type pains on and off and also bh... I'm nearly 35 weeks still fine :)

I'll also add that my bubs been engaged since 30 weeks as well and he's still tucked in there nice and comfy...

Hope all goes well for u

Hi a1983. Sorry you're going through this. I'm sure I told you ladies about the massive bleed I had at 26 weeks. For a couple of days before the bleed I had loads of period type cramping. Also was admitted and monitored for a few days as monitors showed a small amount of contracting. Also had steroids shots at 26 and 30 weeks. But good news is that here I am at over 35 weeks still baking my bun! I hope you also keep your little one in there for a while longer. On the up side, if you we're to deliver now, you're baby will probably be absolutely fine (after a bit of a nicu stay) so try not worry too much. Xx

Hi ladies, thank you SO much for all your replies-all seems well, im back at home now after having both steriod injections and although there were concerns at first and a bit of contradictions of mw views about what was going on (ie normal bh or early labour contractions) it seems they were just bh. But as for the cramping, which has subsided for now, they think that's ligament stretching-just starting at 28 weeks! Sounds like ive been experiencing what you all have-lower abdominal cramping like period type cramps-mild and on and off with some sharp twinges. Yes I was told same about the contractions-ill just know apparently, although this is my first baby too! But they'll be whole abdo tightenings WITH pain/contractions and be regularly spread apart with increase in pain as they go along.

Stinging a bit like cystitis this morning but may just be stress of it all and tiredness-didn't sleep at all in hospital! My urine was negative for any infection last night-but it was sooo diluted-would this still show a urine infection if I had one?

Im resting resting and resting next 2 days off work- then only 3 more til maternity leave :) Given bubs lots of strokes and cuddles and songs and he seems his perfect active little self ♥ x

Hi Manny! Soo glad you're doing well, as I am all you ladies!

Glad you're home and doing better. You're doing the right thing by resting. Doc told me not to do ANYTHING strenuous until after baby is born - not even going for a walks which is driving me made but will be worth it in the end. Take it easy and if you're not feeling up for it, don't go to work later in the week. Hooray for Mat leave!!! I've still got until next week Friday and I'm counting down the days. xx

Glad ur ok I'm cramping today but putting it down to normal growing pains. Glad ur ok xx

Yes ever since I've got up and started walking about house the cramping started again-stopped since sitting down..so yes im going to take these next few weeks very easy. And this moving home malarky in 4 weeks isn't helping-trying to leave it all to oh but it's hard in terms of just searching for homes and working out finances-obv I wont be physically moving anything! x Oh and I meant 3 weeks til mat leave, not days! Not long til yours Manny-take it easy, and you wantingagirl...rest and lots of it x

Glad all is well and you're back at home. I had exactly the same thing at 27/28 weeks - really bad period-like cramping, so went to the labour ward, for FFN test, check cervix, and monitor uterus. The screen showed uterus mildly contracting which coincided with my cramps getting worse. The doctors/midwives basically thought everything was okay, and I just had an 'irritable uterus' (not a medical term but makes sense when you google it!) but they kept me in hospital for 48 hours as a precaution and gave me the steroid injections. I'm 32 weeks now and haven't had any cramping since - I have taken it semi-easy

A bit crampy this afternoon, I haven't had any since Monday..it's scared me and took me back to last weekend :-( I've taken some paracetamol. The thing is nothing happened last weekend so it's likely nothing will now and it's maybe for the same reasons ie possible stretching? Baby is very active today too so maybe that's not helping? Don't seem to be getting any braxton hicks-some hardenings but think it's baby stretching and have had these for weeks...hate this worry. Cramping is only a 2 out of 10 but just it being there after last weekends events is making me nervous! You ladies have had it come and go though haven't you?

Just wanted to say im feeling better now-sorry for my worrying! Just gotta chill a bit if I get the cramps :) x

Yep, I'm still getting the period-like pain type of cramping... for at least 3 weeks now. Nothing to worry about if it isn't accompanied by anything else. Take it easy <3

Hi had a similar thing as many posters describe. A heavy bleed followed by cramping snd cervix dilating at 30 wks. Got the steroid shots too. Since then I've virtually stayed indoors, i find walking definitely starts up the cramps. But still here, so stay hopeful! I found that drinking lots of water & herbal tea to stay hydrated helps calm things down - I mean more than the normal 10-12 glasses! Try to keep your feet up as much as possible.

Good luck!!!

I forgot to add that I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus, which is when you have regular, even painful contractions with no cervical change. Some women start having contractions as early as 10 weeks that last the whole pregnancy, and yet carry to term. They tend to get worse at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->