29 year old has a stroke after giving birth. SO scary!

channy3232

Reaction score
My sister-in-law's friend just had a baby. I'm not sure how long ago but it hasn't been longer than a month or two maybe. I don't know the whole story but I guess they had problems with the epidural. After she had the baby she was getting headaches and her doctor said it was just spinal headaches. But they didn't go away and she went back and they told her it was "hormonal". She was getting dizzy also and even told her husband she didn't feel comfortable watching their kids by herself. Eventually she had a stroke. She's 29 years old. She can stand but can't walk. She was in the neuro trauma unit for two weeks and is now in rehab to learn how to walk all over again. I'm not sure if it affected her speech or memory or anything but the poor girl just had a baby and can't even walk.
I guess the moral of the story is, if you know something is wrong, don't back down. You know your body and you know when something is wrong. She knew something was wrong but her doctor brushed it off as hormonal.

Oh me, poor lady! But it can happen - as per the film Jersey Girl. Think that was an anurysem or something.

poor woman.

Was it a brain aneurysm? They seem to run in my family and i had to have MRI and CT scan to rule it out in pregnancy.

My mum had 2 at 50+ and 4 years on she is much better, can walk talk she has slightly limited movement in her left hand but as your friend is much younger hopefully she will get better quicker

Poor girl I hope her recovery is quick.

I've had a bad year with stroke related problems. Firstly one of my close friends collapsed (she was 29 and had her 30th in hospital), she had 2 blood clots on her brain and spent 5 months in recovery. She's now back to work part time and is slowly returning to normal. My aunt collapsed and died from a brain aneurysm about a month later she was 52. :(

My thoughts are with her and her family.

My husbands cousin had a stroke whilst giving birth :( she's recovered now however she has problems with her eyes and sight, she can see straight on but not to the sides, poor girl lost her driving licence and her job because of it :( xx

July 1st of this year, 6 weeks and 1 day after giving birth to my beautiful baby girl. I had a perfect pregnancy and a difficult labour, and was adjusting to motherhood beautifully. After 12 days in hospital and countless tests the verdict is a one in a million hormonal issue that causes temprary narrowing of the arteries in the brain. Luckily, I regained all feeling/speech after about 1/2 hour despite the fact that it was a major stroke. I thank God every day that I am able to hold my little girl and be with her. This has caused my husband and I great concern in expanding our family, although the neurologist assured us that it is unlikely to happen again. Apparantly stroke after childbirth is a greater risk than you may be aware of, but it is usually due to other health issues of which I have none :(

I work on an acute stroke unit and we are seeing more and more young and post partum strokes. Some are severely impaired. We had one week with about 4 all with very young babies. We get a lot of young teachers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->