-

I started off using Mothercare smart nappy powder and it worked really well for all of my nappies. When that ran out, I tried Tots Bots Potion and I was less than impressed with it. At first it wasn't too bad, not great on stains, but it was ok. Then my inserts started smelling of wee all the time. If I strip washed them it went away for a while but kept coming back until I stopped using Potion. Now I use Ecover Delicate (non-bio) and it's really good.

I think you can use pretty much any detergent really. You shouldn't use conditioner but if you do want to, Bold 2-in-1 is the only one that's ok as it's apparently clay based so doesn't build up in the fabric like others do.

I tumble dry inserts and air dry anything PUL because I melted a few pop-in outers :rofl: so even the ones that say they're ok in the dryer, I hang to dry. By the time the inserts have finished in the dryer, the outers are dry anyway. If I'm feeling environmentally friendly, I do a fast spin, then hang the inserts to dry until they're almost dry, then put them in the dryer for half an hour to fluff them up a bit.

I've never used vinegar as I've had no need, but I'm sure other people will comment on that.

ive heard bad things about bold 2in1 over on CNT, i was gna get some but decided to start using ariel bio instead, i was using cheapy wilkinsons bio and that worked just as well but doesnt really leave a nice smell, theres no horrible smell, theres just no smell whatsoever lol, so long as i wash them on high enough temp, some nappies dont like being in the dryer but most can go in on a cool dry, it helps the nappies stay a lot softer if you dry them in teh dryer rather than on the line or on a radiator, i always have crispy nappies cos i dont have a dryer :(

x

I used ariel to wash the boys nappies in, but im using bold 2 in 1 at the moment - thats fine to use as the softner is clay based. It also makes my nappies smell yummy! I was originally using non bio but it was rubbish at getting the nappies clean and also made Harrisons bum really sore.
I use the washing line or airer to dry my nappies then finish them off in the tumble dryer, I live in a really hard water area so my nappies get very stiff and crunchy, a quick spin in the tumble dryer makes them lovely and soft. I'd hang wraps or pul pockets on the airer or line, I don't tumble them as im scared of melting them! x

I use fairy on my nappies i air most items and finish off inserts in the tumbler

I wash them in 1/4 the amount of non bio (usually gel, sometimes liquid) on a 60 degree superwash (prewash, wash, rinse, spin) I hang dry all my outers and often hang dry my inserts etc now as well as I have so many nappies I dont "need" them dry quickly. I dont bother using white vinegar or anything on them, the only inserts that really get stiff are the Itti SIO and the Blueberry ones and some of the night nappies I always finnish in the drier as they are softer that way!
I dont use any nappy specific product and I dry pail. I dont have any problems with stains or smells.

Ive found napisan gets marks out well, it even turned some preloved greying nappies a fresher colour

Actually I don't use powder at all. I use ecoballs or soap nuts for everything, but find the ecoballs are the best for nappies. They sometimes leave the odd stain, but the sun bleaches them out, or over the winter I added a bit of Ecover laundry bleach to the wash, and that got most of them out. There's no danger of getting that powder residue thingy if you don't use powder!!!

We use Bold 2 in 1 and it works great for us :) Also means if I have a few wet nappies, i can put them in with a normal wash and not worry about not adding softner x

Another vote for Bold 2-in-1 here, been using it since about a month in, as non-bio wasn't cutting it. I only use 1 tablespoonful of powder. Also add a few drops of lavender oil in the softener section of the drawer. Used to also add white vinegar but I ran out and it didn't seem to make any difference anyway. I've never had stink issues and never run a strip wash since using Bold, and Adam was in the same batch of nappies (mostly preloved size 1 bamboos) till very recently. I spray the pooey nappies and dry pail. Occasionally stick a bit of Napisan through as well. I have had stains at times but they eventually do fade; those that haven't are going to be taking a trip to my mum's washing line over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->