2nd babies, HRT, breastfeeding and PPD...

LadyHutch

HutchMom
Reaction score
So....

I had PPD very, very badly with DS. One of my many fears about this pregnancy is getting it again. I go to the OB on wednesday and this will be one of my first topics of discussion: prevention and treatment options. As I understand it, the risk of getting it again once you have had it is quite high.

I've been doing some research and there is quite a bit of promising information about using a transdermal HRT estridol patch to treat PPD. This is something I am really considering trying, one one condition: it will not harm my ability to breastfeed.

Last time, I had to stop breastfeeding at 6 months when we made the decision to go on medication for the PPD. By that point, my PPD was so bad, I needed some pretty strong meds to treat it, and they were not compatible with BF. It sucked, because I wanted to BF to at least 1 year, but we decided a happy momma was more important than BF.

It still took more than a year to get well.

Any ladies out there with any experience with any of these things that can give me some advice? Anyone with second or + pregnancies that had PPD with earlier pregnancies that avoided it second + time around? Any advice on what I can be doing NOW to help my situation?

PPD was so bad for me I almost said no when we started talking about trying again. It nearly killed my marriage. It took nearly 2 years for my son and I to properly bond. It was awful. I really don't want to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->