2nd hand stuff, opinions

chickie_115

mum of 1 and stepmum to 2
Reaction score
Hey just wondered how some of you felt about ppl giving you their 2nd hand stuff, I'm having my first baby (due the end of Nov) and my sis who only had her daughter on Fri:laugh2: has already offered me her moses basket which is gorgeous but not what I want really but don't want to offend. I'm fine with ppl giving us stuff but there are things I would like new, ie Pram is anyone in the same situation???:blush:

I got most of my little girls stuff 2nd hand hun but thats just because we were struggling back then, would have been lovely to get brand new stuff! If you can I think that's great! x

Yeah it's a tough one.

I've tried to be honest and told people to eBay things whilst I'm unsure.

It's not that it's second hand, it's just that it's so early I don't know what I want really, but I know I definitely don't want a pile of someone else's clutter, just because they're in a rush to get shot of it.

I think most people, by nature of having the stuff to give, will remember what it was like for them, and how they envisaged getting ready for their baby. So I'm hoping they understand at least ;D

I am all for 2nd hand stuff :) Me and Lillysmum (another member on here) have traded sooo many of our babys and toddlers clothes with eachother :) I have a 2nd hand cot my youngest is in just now (new matress tho). My mmoses basket is 3rd hand. Through family. I think its a brilliant idea it saves on so much money :)

Im the same as you hun i wanted everything new xx

We will be getting everything new. For us, part of the excitement is going in and buying all that stuff and it took us 3yrs to get pregnant so we want to savour every minute of this whole experience and that includes picking out the exact things we want!

My sister has 2 girls so if we were to have a girl then I would take some 2nd hand clothes just because I know she has looked after everything so well and there are some things that the girls hardly wore...I would only take near new things.

SIL will think we're so stuck up but I could care less...we will do what we want!

i was offered a pram and knocked it back, i just thought for my first baby i would like a brand new pram and plus my mum offered to buy me one so how could i refuse. The only second hand thing i got was a car seat which belonged to our neighbors, i had a proper big car seat which cost a fortune and then i was reminded about the ones that you can carry so when i got the offer of that and it was still modern i took it. With this baby though i am using the same pram i had last time because the carry cot part of the pram is brand new looking and the same Moses basket again was only used for 5 months. I will however need a new car seat as the one i had a loan of is tatty looking! and will need a new in-car car seat oh and i need a new cot as i gave mine away a week before i found out i was pregnant lol. i feel there is nothing wrong with taking 2nd stuff, especially if it is from family but understandably its always nice to have brand new stuff for your 1st baby!

thanks girls, it's not that i don't want to take 2nd hand stuff, this is my 1st but dh's 3rd, so he doesn't see it the same as me, I just don't want to take everything willy nilly lol!!

I'm all for taking second hand stuff, my SIL had twin girls recently and has offered to pass on moses basket, clothes, etc. It was quite funny actually cos she keeps using plurals and referring to when 'they' arrive in November. I had to keep reminding her that I'm only having one (touch wood!). Having said that, if I was offered stuff that was poor quality I would refuse it or say that someone else had already offered.

I'm the same as Polaris, I'm all for second hand stuff! We just bought our pram on Ebay - early I know, but it was such a bargain at £90 and it's a carrycot/buggy type one - and it's in fantastic condition. We've washed all the covers and I'm thinking of getting a replacement carrycot mattress, not that there's anything wrong with the one in there, but just cos I'd prefer to get a new one hehe :)
We've been offered a baby sling, a baby bouncer and also a baby gym which we're gonna gratefully recieve!
TBH, this baby was a complete and utter surprise so we havent done any saving, every little helps as far as we're concerned cos everything is so expensive!
But yeah, if it was of poor quality then I would decline tactfully :D

I'm all for it! With my daughter I borrowed a moses basket from my friend, and am so glad i did, as she was only in it for a couple of months, and it was money well saved as far as i'm concerned. We did buy a new pram and other new things, but i didn't mind borrowing some stuff, and if i get offered this time round, i'll accept again.

I plan to buy everything new. Its taken me so long to get pregnant, so i really want to enjoy it. I cant wait to start shopping.
I dont think there is anything wrong with second hand though. I guess it depends on your own financial circumstances.

I know what you all mean, I bought my sister her moses basket and it was £95!!!!! The way I see it is there are so many other things I could buy and thjey only use the basket for a few months!!!!

We don't mind second hand stuff. We didn't get much as my husband's brother lives in another country (their son is 10 months older then our LO), but on occasions when we saw them they gave us some clothes. And when his wife bacam pregnant again (after I had our baby) I have her some of my maternity stuff and some clothes.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with second hand....:hug:

I don't think there is anything wrong with accepting 2nd hand things, particularly if they're from family or close friends who are trying to help and if you know that the item/s been well looked after.

We don't have many people who actually have things to "hand down" to us as there are only really two of my cousins with little ones of their own, and we are one of the 1st couples among our friends to start a family.

I wouldn't mind accepting a hardly used hand-me-down pram or baby swing, or some nice clothes that had been looked after...but we do also feel we want some things to be brand new.

I think it's just a personal decision based on how you feel about the item, and who is offering it, and what kind of condition it is in. I understand it is hard to refuse though without offending. My Mum seems keen for us to buy a moses basket 2nd hand since like many on here have said- babies often aren't in them long and they can be pricey. The thing is, for my own reasons- i don't even want a moses basket! So i am trying to steer her in a different direction.

Some people will have set ideas from their own experiences about what they think you should spend money on and what they think you can scrimp on etc and they're probably just trying to be helpful. Hopefully most of them will remember what they felt like when pregnant and how sometimes you just want to do your own thing and be able to go shopping and make your own exciting choices!

I agree with Rebaby, for me it's more about the excitment and choosing rather than if it's second hand or not.

IF your on tight budget think should take anything poss second hand because it saves you alot of money in long run for when the baby is here.
If youve got the money then dont see why cant buy new things.
This time round im using as much second hand stuff as possible because ive already got alot of stuff. I dont feel need to be buying new things when there is no real need.

We're probably going to get alot of hand me downs (clothes wise) as my Bil and bro have both had/having babies this year too.

though we're looking at buying second hand mama's and papa's nursery furniture on ebay as it's really nice stuff and costs a fortune to buy new. (obviously we'll buy a new mattress) but the moses basket will probably be borrowed like some of the others said it only gets limited use. we will buy a new pram and car seat as they can take some battering and prefer to know it's history.

but i'm not at all fussy, neither is hubby and this is our first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->