2nd pregnancy with stitch?!

mylittlebud1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm not pregnant or anything but had Evie 11 months ago at 27+2 weeks due to an incompetent cervix.

Obviously i would love to at some point have another baby but am terrified of what will happen so my question is :-

Has anyone had premmie due to weak cervix and then gone on to have a stitch and carry full term (or not), or further than they did before.

Does the stitch hurt, do you have to have bed rest etc. would love any advise or stories people can tell me

Claire

My stitch was an emergency stitch and I was pregnant with twins so I was put on complete bedrest. My stitch worked well but I got an infection which triggered labour but that was more likely due to the fact I had lost my mucas plug and had been 5cm dilated.

I haven't been diagnosed with an incompetent cervix but it is a possibility but they said a second pregnancy would confirm a diagnosis. Not sure I will risk that though...

There is a lady on B&B who had a 24 weeker due to IC and went on to carry twins to term with the help of a stitch and if I remember right the 2 of them together weighed about 15lb! I haven't seen her on here in quite a while though but she probably has her hands full.

I wouldn't say the stitch hurts but it can be a bit uncomfortable and I won't lie it was agony to get it removed! Getting it put in I had a spinal block so didn't feel anything. In most cases they don't recommend bed rest as it carries it's own risks but they may recommend it further down the line if they feel your cervix is struggling a bit.

In pregnancy complications forum there is a thread for people suffering with IC.

Hi there,

First of all, I'm really sorry for lurking in here. I love reading your heartwarming stories and as someone who has a high risk of premature birth it gives me a lot of hope.

I gave birth to a little girl at 24 weeks due to IC and failed TVC. Sadly it was too soon for my little girl.

I had an abdominal cerclage placed pre-pregnancy and gave birth to my little boy at 37 weeks. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with baby no. 3.

If you have a vaginal cerclage (there are a few different types) there is a chance that you may need to go on bedrest. The vaginal cerclage works very well for a lot of people, but due to the fact that I've had the majority of my cervix removed, it didn't work for me.

A preventative vaginal cerclage is usually placed around 11-13 weeks. It is usually placed by spinal block (similar to an epidural). You can also be monitored and have an emergency one placed, I understand that these types of cerclages are less effective than those placed as a preventative measure

A lot of Drs wont consider placing an abdominal cerclage (TAC) unless you have had a failed vaginal cerclage (TVC) which I understand to an extent, as a TVC works for so many and the procedure is more invasive. I know of a few ladies to have a TAC even though they haven't experienced a loss with a TVC as they have pushed for it.

I have had both a TVC and a TAC and I have to say neither of them hurt. Apart from a little cramping once the block had warn off. But nothing that paracetomal didn't take care of. I had a spinal block for both of my operations. If you have the TAC place pre-pregnancy, you can have a GA.

Any questions, please ask. There is a helpful group in gestational complications all about cerclages, and I could also point you in the right direction of a very helpful group on facebook. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->