2nd time mums, how did you make big sis/bro feel special?

missy1

Reaction score
So my daughter is 2 years and 9 months. I'm expecting baby number 2 in 3 days. We want to make a big fuss of my daughter so she doesn't feel left out from all the attention the new baby will be getting.
I've made up a goody bag for when she comes to visit us in the hospital that I will tell her is from her little brother. It has a Big Sister card and t-shirt, big sister sticker book and wall plaque for her bedroom with a cute poem about how special it is to be a big sister. I'll also put some treats/chocolate in her bag. My husband wants to buy her her first bike but I think this is maybe a bit much and we should give her that on her birthday in September.
Just wanted to start a thread to share any cute useful ways to make child number 1 feel a little bit spoiled and important. Obviously she will be showered with love and attention - not just gifts lol. Any tips? Xx

I think we are just planning to involve him as much as possible. We've started getting baby stuff out ready, he knows where the baby is going to sleep, we got some toys ready for the baby etc etc.
We are going to let him chose a teddy for the baby and bring it to the hospital too.

Will be interested to hear any other ideas :)

With my second baby our DS was about the same age as your DD and we took him shopping to buy his sister something so that when he came to the hospital to meet her he had a gift for her just from him. Also waiting at the hospital was a gift for him from baby too.
Also we had asked our family to have a "special big brother" surprise for him too so that he didn't feel left out.

Before we left the hospital I had DS help give his sis a bath and just telling him how helpful he was made him feel important too.

This time around the age gap is huge so isn't really an issue but I will still let them buy something for bub and have something special waiting for them, more of a momento of the occasion.

My friend when her baby was born gave her 2 year old her own 'baby' and a changing kit so she could copy mummy with the new baby. She loves playing at being mummy and she feels like she is in a special club with my friend. Also when the baby was born they gave her a present from the baby

I plan to involve my daughter as much as possible she'll only be 18 months so will probably adjust quickly to the baby but rather then say no mummy's busy with the baby actually ask her to get baby a clean nappy etc. get her helping and involved. But I can't see her being that interested in all that so young lol so plenty if cuddles and kisses and keeping her daily routine as normal as possible is my plan at the moment :)

We're buying LO a kiddy digital camera to take pictures of the baby with. We also have a few "new baby" books already that we read together and we talk about babies a lot. I think the key is to make sure the big siblings aren't missing out. I'll be breastfeeding so won't be able to leave baby for long for a while but we'll still have special one-on-one time regularly while daddy watches the baby. And there'll probably be trips out with daddy as well, like to the park or zoo or museum.

Love this thread. My LO will be 22 months when this baby is born. I have no idea how to make him feel special when the new baby arrives as he'll understand 'baby' but not really how much hos life is changing or why.

Keep the suggestions coming, they're really helpful!

My DD will only be 15 months when baby arrives! I dont know how much she will really understand! We will be getting her a gift from her new sister that she will get when she comes to the hospital but Ive no idea what to get!

Am also making up a special box of toys & colours & things that she can play with while Mammy is breastfeeding so she doesnt feel like she is being left out!

Love this thread. My LO will be 22 months when this baby is born. I have no idea how to make him feel special when the new baby arrives as he'll understand 'baby' but not really how much hos life is changing or why.

That's a similar gap to ours. Trust me, your son will understand way more than you now think is possible by the time baby comes along. I highly recommend reading them books about the subject. LO has one where the big sibling is excited at first but then gets annoyed because the baby can't do anything and mummy can't play with him because the baby cries a lot. It's resolved by the big brother helping mum with baby and them playing together while dad babysits. Anyway, we've been reading it for a few months and LO absolutely loves it and she's starting to understand the concepts now.

That's a similar gap to ours. Trust me, your son will understand way more than you now think is possible by the time baby comes along. I highly recommend reading them books about the subject. LO has one where the big sibling is excited at first but then gets annoyed because the baby can't do anything and mummy can't play with him because the baby cries a lot. It's resolved by the big brother helping mum with baby and them playing together while dad babysits. Anyway, we've been reading it for a few months and LO absolutely loves it and she's starting to understand the concepts now.

Thanks heaps, Amygdala. I really love the sound of that book! Are you able to tell me who it is written by and what it is called?

It is comforting to know that he'll understand more than I'm giving him credit for. I'll definitely he talking to him about the new baby in that case!

Love this thread! Thanks for all the ideas ladies! My dd is 2 years an 2 months and will be just shy of 3 when baby #2 makes its arrival. I love some of the suggestions for making them feel special. Especially the doll!!!! She already has one she's super attached to and she "feeds it" and changes it and burps it so making sure she brings that to the hospital will be a must!! Genius idea I never would have thought of

Thanks heaps, Amygdala. I really love the sound of that book! Are you able to tell me who it is written by and what it is called?

It is comforting to know that he'll understand more than I'm giving him credit for. I'll definitely he talking to him about the new baby in that case!

I was just going to ask the same thing! The book sounds a great idea.
My lo will be 20 months and he's a bit of a mummys boy so id be lying if i said i wasnt worried about him
Xx

My daughter will be around 21 months when baby arrives. So far we've just tried to keep her as involved with the pregnancy as possible! She's really cute and gives my bump lots of cuddles and kisses and, much to my dismay sometimes, she 'plays' with her baby sister by responding to kicks by kicking me where baby did and poking my bump to get baby moving around! :dohh: She already has a doll and pushchair and we're slowly but surely getting her more stuff to do with her baby. Once I've had my 32 week scan I'll be taking her into town to pick out a special going home outfit for baby and a cuddly toy as her special present to baby and we'll be getting her a special present from baby (I really like the goodie bag idea!)! So far it seems like we've lucked out though as she's so excited and maternal I'm not terribly worried about how she'll deal with it! She loves babies and is really gentle with the tiny ones at the groups we go to! That's another thing, I'm hoping to keep going to groups from the outset and keep her routine as close as possible to what it is now. Assuming I have another relatively easy natural birth, I'm hoping to have a 6 hour discharge this time around as I want to maintain as much normality as possible for her. Obviously if there's complications or I require a c-section then that's not going to be possible but I want to spend as little time away from home as is reasonable under the circumstances I'm presented with! :thumbup:

Beca :wave:

Beca she sounds adorable! That is a good idea about keeping the usual routine going as much as possible x

Will be stalking this!

My little man will nearly be 3 when my baby is born, Loving the goodie bag idea! Definitely something ill be doing!

My mum said that she did a similar thing with me ie giving me a doll and talking about the baby. Apparently, I used to 'breastfeed' my doll while mum was feeding my younger sister! I am not sure how this works with a son though...

When we go to our private scan this week we'll be bringing DS and getting him a teddy bear which will have a recording of the baby's heartbeat which he can look after, I'm hoping this will make him feel more involved. I'm going on maternity leave early so we can spend plenty of time together. It'll be Christmas when I am due so we are going to make sure we have a fab time and make extra effort this year.

The goody bag is a lovely idea but I agree the bike is a bit much. We also got our daughter A doll so she could do with her doll what I did with baby and she loved that and she was 22 months.

The best piece of advice I got when I had DS was don't be holding baby when sis/bro comes to visit for the first time.

With DD we bought her a new toy (upsy daisy as she was obsessed at the time lol) some colouring books and crayons to keep her busy at hospital and her fave snacks & my best friend bought her a big sister t shirt.

This time we are doing similar.. big sis and big bro tshirts, colouring books, stickers, pencils, a book each, fave drinks & snacks.
It is a nice little pressie from baby and keeps them entertained in hospital and at home when feeding etc

xXx

My first born, who is now taller than me :shock: cannot wait to be involved. I let her choose one middle name. I also brought her along to the sexing scan. I owe her £50 regarding the bet we had on the sex. :dohh:

She has already given the command that she will be involved in nappy changes, feeds etc. All within reason though, but I will not hold her to any commitment of responsibility regarding baby, as she is a teenager. I may make her change an extremely disgusting nappy though [evil laugh].

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->