3 week old won't eat, won't latch, fussy?

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a little panicked here.... My 3 week old is suddenly having issues with latching and refusing to eat. She usually eats often every 1-3 hours (I think she's going through a growth spurt).
But last night she was different.... She gets fussy like she's hungry so I put her to my breast, but she won't latch, she actually gets really frustrated and even fussier, thrashing her face around on me with her mouth open and crying. She also won't take a pacifier which is unlike her.
Last night she didn't wake up from 2am- 8am to feed so she went over six hours without eating and still didn't want to latch when I woke her up around 8:15. She seems hungry (rooting) and I swear I heard and felt her belly growling... She's also been spitting up some / drooling lately. Pee seems normal, might be pooping less now.

Anyone have any insight? I'm going to call her Ped if she still refuses to eat after she wakes from this nap.

Does she have wind? Or maybe she could have a touch of thrush in her mouth? My LO was really fussy when he had thrush. His tongue was a bit white in places.

Hope your doctor was able to help xx

She could still be going through a growth spurt. I know sometimes babies get fussy at the breast even if they're hungry because they want a lot of milk right then and there, like your boob isn't fast enough!

Reflux. My dd did the same was fighting her feeds. Mine too started at 3 weeks. Call pedi and take her in

Hey girls. Well she slept from 9:30-12:40 and is now currently nursing but is still not very interested and falling asleep. She will latch a little better but won't feed longer than a couple minutes before losing interest / falling asleep. I'm still waiting to call the doctor, since now she is latching and eating some. Also still waiting on a poopy diaper and hasn't peed since this morning.
I really hope she's ok. She's very grunty and scrunching herself right now.

My baby does that sometimes when he is over excited, I have to sandwich my nipple to help him out. Do make a point of waking baby at about 3 hours though especially since she is so young.

One of my breastfeeding guides says they get impatient when they're extremely hungry and your booby isn't enough. Do you pump at all? It recommended giving a bottle of expressed milk to take the edge off and resume with BFing. Also said helping the flow by expressing while she's latched will encourage her to stay on...

I hope I helped. :flower:

Hey girls. Well she slept from 9:30-12:40 and is now currently nursing but is still not very interested and falling asleep. She will latch a little better but won't feed longer than a couple minutes before losing interest / falling asleep. I'm still waiting to call the doctor, since now she is latching and eating some. Also still waiting on a poopy diaper and hasn't peed since this morning.
I really hope she's ok. She's very grunty and scrunching herself right now.

She's probably not staying awake to fee becaue she's gone to long between feeds and doesn't have the energy to stay awake because her blood sugar got low . Strip her to her diaper and try to feed her and try touching her and rubbing her feet or arms and hands to keep her awake to get a good fee

Are you producing enough milk? With my first son, he would get fussy when being put on the boob because he knew it wasn't enough milk, or he wouldn't stay on. I persisted and he ended up losing a whole pound at 3 months. I felt like such a bad mommy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->