32 week scan - update on my marginal placenta previa and breech baby

ummar

Reaction score
I had a 28 week scan today because at 22 weeks my placenta was noted as marginal previa (under 20 mm from cervix). It was 2 mm away from my cervix then.

Today, at 28 weeks, my cervix is still only 3 mm away.

I'm really worried. Anyone know, at this late stage if the uterus will expand enough to pull my placenta at least 20 mm from my cervix? 20 mm I'm told is the minimum distance before they will allow me a natural birth.

My next scan is in 4 weeks at 32 weeks. What is the likelihood it will shift between now and then?

P.s. I am really grateful however that my baby is growing beautifully. Just want a normal birth with no stress on him.

:hugs: sorry I don't know but I have heard of it happening - what does you dr/mw say?

hx

Don't know the mm of mine but I know they were concerned about mine at a scan I had about a month ago (around 27 weeks) but this time (31 1/2 weeks) it was fine and not a problem, it can still move. I would wait and see how your next scan goes and totally cross question your consultant about it after that scan (assume you are like me have to see the consultant after your scan)

I appariently have the same issue babe, not sure on the measurements.... but they're keeping an eye out on it. I have my scan to check it at 32 weeks though. But i'm going for a private 4d scan to see my girl for the last time before she's born, maybe i can ask them. I'm not entirely sure, you might want to ask what your options are..... I remember seeing somewhere that if it covers the Cervix etc you'll be prepped for a C-Section............. :( in which, to me...... i hope not!. I told my mum about it and she said they should be able to move it!? (she's a nurse) So really, i'm no help but i can totally relate!!! :hug:

Thanks ladies.

I was just gutted that it moved so little (1 mm between 22 and 28 weeks) so I was kind of giving up hope that it would shift much between 28 and 32 weeks. However, I've read a few expert opinions that say the uterus expands alot down at the bottom at this stage so there is hope.

The doctors who did my scan told me not to worry at this stage. They said they will check again at 32 weeks and then again at 36 weeks and if things don't improve, a consultant will talk through the options with me.

An added complication is that baby is still breech but at least that has a good chance of changing between now and 36 weeks.

Hi ladies,

I had a scan yesterday to check on my marginal placenta previa (see first post).

I was 32+4 weeks yesterday.

So the first good news is that baby has turned head down - which really helps because it eliminates one more reason to go with a c-section.

Second good news is that even though my placenta moved just 1 mm between 22 and 28 weeks, yesterday's scan showed it has moved 7 mm between 28 and 32 weeks.

So now, my placenta is 10 mm (1 cm) away from my birth canal.

It's not enough for a natural birth. They want it to be at least 20 mm (2 cm) away before they will rule out a c-section.

Since it has moved so well during the last 4 weeks, I'm really optimistic it will move another 10 mm before I'm 38 or 39 weeks cos' my belly is really expanding at this stage, and this ofcourse is key to moving the placenta up.

Just thought I'd give you an update, especially as there are a few other women who have persistent previa late into their pregnancies.

Awe hun, hope it moves when you check at 36week, but pleased to see its "moved" so far :) try to stay positive!!

I had my scan yesterday, and appariently it was all fine and my baby girl is head down <3 keeping a positive spin on things really does help! <3 Let us know how you go within the next few weeks!! Fingers crossed!!!

oooh thats some good progess so far! if it carries on like that you should be all clear!

great news hun :thumbup:

Thats great news ummar!! I am also going to be optimistic for you and hope the placenta moves! The last stage is when you grow the most! So I hope it moves a bit more for you!! FIngers crossed.

Ps: so jelous you got to see baby on ultrasound around same gestation as me I WISH I could see what she looks like now.

Praying a natural birth for you girl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"